WMV to VOB file conversion headache

I’m totally stumped on my problem and am hoping to God I can find someone brilliant enough here to point me in the right direction.

I’m trying to get a WMV file on a CD-R so that it will play on any DVD player. Video is for a client presentation…normally I would just send her the link and have her watch my presentation online but in this case I have to send a package by mail, so my content is copyright protected as it is my own material.

I’ve tried several times and wasted half a dozen DVD-Rs. I have Ubuntu and some of the programs I’ve used to try this so far are DEVEDE for conversion to VOB (it let me do ISO no problem but that wouldn’t work on one of my DVD players) and I’m using Brasero to burn the file to the disc.

So basically I’m a newbie and I’m desparate to get this presentation over to my investor ASAP. Where should I start? A new conversion program? Do I need IMGBurn? I’ve tried creating VIDEO_TS folders and that didn’t work.

By the way I have a desktop with windows XP if that makes this process easier at all.

Hello. If I understand this correctly, you have managed to create an ISO of this file? To check if it is valid, tried opening it in VLC. Its ability to play pretty much anything means that it might end up playing even if it is not correct, but if it doesn’t work the ISO is probably incorrect.
I haven’t tried Brasero but K3B is the program I usually use and it burns .ISO What problems do you get when you try to burn it? Many problems with burning are platform independant like bad media, hardware issues, bad burner, burner/media incompatibility etc. To find out what burner and firmware you have, type the following:

sudo hdparm -I /dev/dvdrw

If you have several DVD burners, you might have to add a number after dvdrw. The interesting parts here are Model number and Firmware revision.
To find out what media you have (assuming it isn’t fake), type

dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/dvdrw

where Media ID is the interesting part. The brand of the media should help determine if it is fake (which is astonishingly common)
You can probably get this info from the burning software as well, but as I said, I haven’t tried Brasero.

[QUOTE=yayonaize;2442988]
By the way I have a desktop with windows XP if that makes this process easier at all.[/QUOTE]

Why not just use AVStoDVD, http://sourceforge.net/projects/avstodvd/, or DVDFlick, http://sourceforge.net/projects/avstodvd/, on your Windows machine to convert to a standard DVD format, then burn the DVD with Imgburn? If you really want to stick with Ubuntu then you should use Winff, http://winff.org/html_new/, for the conversion and then your Linux burning app of choice.

how about tovid/todisk? … or dvd-author or qdvd-author? then burn the result with k3b as usual?

I don’t know if any of those will handle wmv format as raw input… dvd-author wants dvd compliant mpeg2 as input… again easily solved with avidemux or even t@bencode (I likes that one… it handles rmvb junk format files)