Wmplayer.exe - Application Error

Need Help… When I try to play a DVD video in WMP10 or another player
I get the following error: The instruction at “0x1c439f48” referenced memory at “0x4ff03046” . The memory could not be “read”.

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program

Clicking cancel doesn’t debug the program. I have uninstalled and reinstalled WMP10 with no results.

I have run sfc /scannow with no results.
System Restore doesn’t help.

Playing a video stored in the computer works.

This problem just started.

Running Windows XP SP3 Hopefull for a resolution, John

Try VLC media player .

I have 3 XP os’s installed on 3 different computers.
On one I didn’t install WMP. So I can’t check with it.
On another I would have to assign my drive a region . So I won’t be doing that.
On the last & much older computer I have a working WMP 10.
It will play but the play is “choppy” . On the same computer VLC player plays the DVD smoothly.
The problem is most likely a codec problem.
You need ffdshow .

I still believe the play with WMP 10 will be “choppy” .

If you have AnyDVD & run it then the DVD will also play. Most of the time.
Your OS still has to have a codec that will allow play.

It is also possible that your drive is failing.

VLC is choppy for me with DVD-video. I never have liked it all that well for this particular format, though I use it for many others, like avi, mkv and mp4 files. I’d use Media Player Classic Home Cinema instead for DVD-video, or PotPlayer.

PotPlayer’s standard user interface is hideous and user unfriendly, but it can be customized and there is no denying that it is a very capable piece of software.

Having said all that, my main player for DVD-video and Blu-ray is Arcsoft TMT5, but I’ve done extensive testing with all of them. Windows Media Player is near the bottom of the pile.

@ Kerry56 , VLC seems to play fine on my os. I usually use the slider to FF because the arrow controls are not good. What I like about VLC is it is one I don’t need to use AnyDVD HD to play a commercial DVD . SM player is another one that doesn’t.

The DVDFab giveaway plays OK & doesn’t need a seperate decrypter.

The rest I have need AnyDVD HD . The reason is I don’t set a region on my DVD drives.
If I did I think the other players might play a commercial DVD without AnyDVD HD enabled. I figure I have it anyway why not use it.

It is WMP10 that is choppy . I have WMP11 on Vista & it plays OK.
I’m still not a fan of WMP .

Nero is OK.

In a pinch the viewer in DVDShrink works full screen.

I can even use WinAmp but on a commercial DVD even with AnyDVD HD it may play a different language track & has not control over that. Since they didn’t intend for it to play DVDs.

I don’t have any payware players on Vista or W7 but I have an older version of PowerDVD on XP. From what I’ve seen posted Arcsoft TMT5 is a good player.

Media Player Classic Home Cinema works fine too.

I probably should give Pot player a test & haven’t because I already have so many.

I don’t care for WMP either but there are ways to expand it somewhat to play more file types if someone is inclined to dig around for it.

I generally gravitate toward easier solutions and most of the free ones listed in the replies above are what I would recommend to try.

VLC, SM Player and Media Player Classic Home Cinema have portable versions.
Once a couple of years ago, I made a then current version of Pot Player into a portable version.

The portable versions are fine for what I use them for but there may or may not be an advantage to using the full install versions.

Some people want to have full support of menus of both blu-ray and DVD which generally means using one of the commercial pay-for software packages.

To the OP, if it once played specific files but doesn’t now, generally that means a codec problem.
Although I suppose it could be something else also.
Try to see if it will play something you knew worked for sure in the past.

See if you can use Windows Explorer and navigate to one of the vobs and see if it plays.
I have no idea if WMP has any menu support or not since it has been so long since I used it.

As with just about everyone above, I seldom use WMP as I prefer both VLC & Media Player Classic.

However, if you wish to continue using WMP, I suggest that you download and run Codec Tweak Tool as it will cure a multitude of problems with WMP. [It certainly did for me when I couldn’t get WMP to play various types of media files that it is meant to play a while back.]

[QUOTE=philamber;2730835]As with just about everyone above, I seldom use WMP as I prefer both VLC & Media Player Classic.

However, if you wish to continue using WMP, I suggest that you download and run Codec Tweak Tool as it will cure a multitude of problems with WMP. [It certainly did for me when I couldn’t get WMP to play various types of media files that it is meant to play a while back.][/QUOTE]
Malwarebytes flagged that Tool as a Malicious virus.:wink:

^ Must be a false positive. I’ve had the tool on both my systems and occasionally used it when necessary for the last couple of years without any objection either from my anti-virus programs or from a Malwarebytes scan.

I have both the older version 5.2.3 .
The newer version with a different GUI 5.6.4 .
I’ve never had MBAM or any other scan find anything in Codec Tweak Tool .
I did run a scan with VirusTotal just a minute ago.
On v 5.2.3 Symantec found WS.Reputation.1 .
The other 53 found nothing.
V 5.6.4 all 54 found it clean.

I then looked up WS.Reputation.1 & it’s not a virus. It’s just a low reputation score that Symantec has collected on files. That doesn’t worry me much.

It was my fault, I clicked on the wrong download link, there is one in [B]Green[/B] that that takes you to a site for other products, [B]doh[/B]:o

I just DLed the latest version CodecTweakTool 5.8.3.0 .
It also checks out clean . I didn’t see much difference from the last one.