WMP 11 crashes in IE 6, Firefox, and Safari when trying to use USB devices

vbimport

:doh:My WMP 11 works fine UNTIL I try to “burn to CD” the songs I have loaded on it I get this pop up window that has something to do with C00D10BA.

Even worse, when I connect my Sansa c250 mp3 player or any SD memory card via USB to my computer WMP will actually freeze up solid and I have to do a control, alt, delete to end the program…it never fails to do this.

When I search Microsoft for help I’m told I need to download a hotfix but I’m not that familiar with hotfixes so I’ve not done that. Plus I’m afraid I’ll lose the songs I’ve loaded in WMP 11 if I go messing around not knowing what I’m doing.

I hope I can get this (these) issues with WMP 11 resolved. I can’t really use WMP 11 to the extent I want to. But I do not want to take a chance on losing my songs.…and I can’t burn them to disks in order to save them. Can someone tell me how I can save my songs so they won’t get lost? Remember, anything that plugs into ANY USD port will make WMP disappear…and very quickly.

Also, if I don’t have WMP 11 open but have a USB device (SD memory card, mp3 player, HDD) plugged in…when I attempt to open WMP 11, it pops up for less than a half second and disappears…it closes completely and is gone period. The same thing happens if I have my USB devices plugged into any USB port on or attached to my computer.

Help please!

I suggest to get rid of WMP. Use Foobar2000 instead :slight_smile:

If you need to burn your music on CD, I suggest to use ImgBurn or Burrrn (ImgBurn is better because is more updated).

All of them are free (and perfectly working) software :bigsmile:

I don’t have a solution for WMP but if you right click on any song in your playlist you will see the “open file location”.Most of mine are not in a location that would be deleted if WMP failed.
Also in the WMP Tools/Options/Library make sure this is unchecked
" Delete files from computer when deleted from library "
You can try to download the latest version of WMP 11 from MS.Then see if you can install it.This will make repairs if you can.If you already have the latest version at least with Vista .Then it will tell you that you already have the latest version & do nothing.
Vista is very limited on this easy repair that used to be available.Where you could uninstall WMP then reinstall it.

So when you locate your music files as above copy them to a new location just in case for a backup.
I searched for a solution.You might try what I post below.I haven’t tried this as I haven’t had your problem.This is just information I found googling.
If you close all browsers and media player, then visit this page in IE
browser http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/...en/indivit.asp
the button there should be available to be clicked.

If it’s greyed out, you may need to reset your DRM store - this page
(step #3) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891664/en-us has
instructions on how to do that.

[QUOTE=geno888;2488140]I suggest to get rid of WMP. Use Foobar2000 instea[/QUOTE]d :slight_smile:

Will Foobar2000 let me “syn” (or move) songs from Foobar to my mp3 player?

If you need to burn your music on CD, I suggest to use ImgBurn or Burrrn (ImgBurn is better because is more updated).

I’m familiar with ImgBurn and use it frequently.

[/QUOTE]All of them are free (and perfectly working) software :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

This I like! :iagree:

[QUOTE=cholla;2488145]I don’t have a solution for WMP but if you right click on any song in your playlist you will see the “open file location”.Most of mine are not in a location that would be deleted if WMP failed.[/QUOTE]

I did this cholla, but I can’t tell “where” the songs are located. Can you give me some more information on this? How am I supposed to know where the songs are when I do this?

Also in the WMP Tools/Options/Library make sure this is unchecked
" Delete files from computer when deleted from library "

Glad you told me this…it was “checked”. I unchecked it.

You can try to download the latest version of WMP 11 from MS.Then see if you can install it.This will make repairs if you can.
I’m using Windows XP cholla. If I do this will it keep my songs?
I sure don’t want to lose them.

[/QUOTE]you could uninstall WMP then reinstall it.[/QUOTE]

If I do this I’m sure my songs will disappear for good…but if you will explain your first response (above) maybe I will be able to restore them if I end up doing this.

Thanks cholla…could you guys stay with me on this please. I’d like to get this figured out once and for all.

[QUOTE=cholla;2488150]So when you locate your music files as above copy them to a new location just in case for a backup.[/QUOTE]

This is what I’d like to do for sure…can you help me “locate” my songs when I do this? When I do this and get a new dialog that contains the songs I’m not given the open of clicking a “back” arrow to see where the folder/file is located. How can I determine where this folder/file is actually located?

I searched for a solution.You might try what I post below.I haven’t tried this as I haven’t had your problem.This is just information I found googling.
You found more than I did cholla.

If you close all browsers and media player, then visit this page in IE
browser http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/...en/indivit.asp
the button there should be available to be clicked.

If it’s greyed out, you may need to reset your DRM store - this page
(step #3) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891664/en-us has
instructions on how to do that.
I’ll also look at these…and may have more questions after doing so. Thanks cholla.

[QUOTE=burnselk;2488178]Will Foobar2000 let me “syn” (or move) songs from Foobar to my mp3 player?[/QUOTE]

Actually I’m not able to answer, because I don’t have a mp3 player and I never tried this… sorry :frowning:

What will come up is a window where the song you right clicked & opened the file location.At the top of this window there should be the location.If you can’t figure it out from there here is another way:
While in the window where the song file is Right click on the file.Then select Properties.
In properties select Details.There should be a Folder Path.That is also the location.
Most likely several of the songs will be in one location.
You will have to click each one in the WMP playlist to be completely sure but I’m sure you can tell by the songs in a particular folder.
If you reinstall the Playlists will no longer exist but the songs should still be on your HDD .WMP should redetect the songs but there are ways to tell it to do this.
Most of my songs are in my Music folder.

cholla, I’m beginning to locate those tunes via “properties”. Looks like a large majority of them are in an iTunes folder in My Music. That seems odd. Is this common? When I get them all located I’ll try to save them to another folder on one of my HDD for backup.

I believe I’ll uninstall WMP 11 and reinstall it and see what happens once I’ve made sure I have all of my songs saved. If that doesn’t work, maybe I’ll install an older version of WMP. I want to maintain the ability to “sync” my songs to my mp3 player and WMP is the only media player I know that allows me to do this. Does anyone know if others do?

When I get this done…if ever, I’ll need some advice on reloading my backed up songs back into WMP11 or whichever version I end up using. Would you help me with this too?

BTW, it doesn’t matter which browser I open WMP 11 in…Firefox, IE, or Safari…it still does the very same thing when I connect a USB device (SD memory card or mp3 player…haven’t tried an external HDD yet…but bet the same happens)… WMP 11 freezes up or it disappears completely.

@burnselk, I don’t know about why it is in an iTunes folder.I don’t have an ipod or iPhone.
It might have something to do with the sync you are using .I don’t do that either.
As long as WMP isn’t set to delete any files you delete from it you are probably OK but a backup of all your song files you want to keep is a good idea anyway.
If WMP doesn’t autodetect them when you reinstall it I think it is fairly easy to get it to do that.
I use WMP only as a player I don’t burn or sync with it.But I will help if I can.

I just finished copying all of the songs I had in “My Music”. I made a new folder on another partition of my HDD and copied them all there. I think I’ll copy them all to a CD also just in case…and copy them to a Jump Drive as well. That should allow me to keep them available to reload into WMP 10 or 11…whatever version lets me syn my songs to my mp3 player. I’ll settle on the WMP version that works with USB devices (like my Sansa c250 mp3 player).

Now I’m going to see what I can mess up by deleting and reinstalling WMP. Wish me luck. I’ll let you know what I end up with.

Someone will probably have to help me reload my songs into the WMP that I settle on.