WMP 10 won't play CD's the audio is all choppy sounding, mp3's are fine

vbimport

Hello,

I have been having trouble with a new machine I just built Win XP Pro SP3 with all the updates except those for WMP 11.At one point I had WMP 11 installed and of course that did the same thing as 10 so I reverted back to version 10.

When I try and play an audio CD using either of the two drives I have, the sound is horrible! It sounds like a needle skipping across a record or it’s all choppy sounding. You CAN hear the real audio in the background however.

If I play an mp3 file on WMP 10 it plays fine. Winamp will play the same CD just fine audio is great.

I ran a program called Gspot to look at the codecs to see if any were missing.When I dropped the .cda file in Gspot it gave me this message:
"Direct show rendering failed error number 0x80040265. I searched for that number and one page advised running the dxdiag program from the RUN command so I did that. When it came time to hear the audio, I could hear all the samples BUT the very highest pitched one, that was all scratchy sounding.

It complained that the driver for my old PCI Audigy soundcard wasn’t WHQL approved. Well there isn’t one that is, when I go to Creative’s page and get the drive they say should work it won’t install. Saying " can’t find a compatible sound card." I used this exact same card on my old machine with WMP and it never gave me any trouble at all.

Yes I am aware of VLC player and of course Winamp. But now it’s a QUEST! I am determined to find the trouble even if I never run WMP again~LOL. :smiley:

But it’s obvious this thing has me stumped, I have used all the tricks I know and I can’t seem to get it to work properly. I will say that occasionally, you can’t tell when, WMP will play the CD OK. But… when you go back to it you get that jittery choppy sound. Why it works at times is a mystery to me.

I know one of you gurus will be able to help me! The hair I am pulling out I am using to stuff a pillow for my cat!

Thanks to all in advance!

J Tinsby

Yes I am aware of VLC player and of course Winamp. But now it’s a QUEST! I am determined to find the trouble even if I never run WMP again~LOL.

Well, I was going to suggest you keep using WinAmp or VLC, or foobar2k, MediaMonkey, River,etc. anything but WMP, but I guess you want answers…Sorry, I don’t use WMP…Perhaps it’s a codec/decoder issue…Try by installing ffdshow and check/enable audio decoder(s)…I mean, if you’re dead-set on using WMP…Hope it helps!..Really!.:wink: