Without Windows 8.1 Spring Update you don’t get patches anymore

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Without Windows 8.1 Spring Update you don’t get patches anymore[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2014/01/myce-wzor-windows8.4-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]
[quote][/quote]
Read the full article here: http://www.myce.com/news/without-windows-8-1-spring-update-you-dont-get-patches-anymore-71098

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Microsoft has probably added new code that benefits them at the cost of the users. I’ll bet there are either new backdoors, which allow Microsoft even more control of “your” computer (brining us one step closer to Treacherous Computing), or more spyware, since Microsoft/big brother aren’t watching us enough. If I were to accept bets, I’d put everything I have on both being included.

The article that is linked now has the following crossed out: [S]Failure to install this Update will prevent Windows Update from patching your system with any future updates starting with Updates released in May 2014 (get busy!)[/S]

Perhaps they’ve heard more from Microsoft?

Future updates may include this 8.1 Spring update for everyone, whether you want it or not.

There are certain combinations of hardware that will work using Windows 8 64bit, but won’t work with 8.1. http://www.pcworld.com/article/2058683/new-windows-8-1-requirements-strand-some-users-on-windows-8.html Admittedly, this only affects a very few people, but it shows that Microsoft is not above throwing a few under the bus if they don’t or can’t update.

@TSJnachos,

Even if you’re running MS pirated software, they’re not going to track you down. What are you worried about even if Windows does phone home?
Just about every software phones home. If you watch your network activity, you’ll notice many requests to remote servers.

[QUOTE=FreqNasty_RiseS;2724943]@TSJnachos,

Even if you’re running MS pirated software, they’re not going to track you down. What are you worried about even if Windows does phone home?
Just about every software phones home. If you watch your network activity, you’ll notice many requests to remote servers.[/QUOTE]

No really, but I can tell you that black screen and WGA alerts will block you from anything worth while computer usage and will limit what you can do with the computer. So pay up and do the legit way even if you hate M$ their product is the standard everyone is trying to beat.

I just happen to hate that there are American soldiers fighter abroud for (among other things) the freedoms to not be unreaonably searched and seized, and to be presumed innocent until proven guilty, while big business/big brother work towards the goal of destroying these rights at home. I fail to believe that such rights were not only drafted, but also passed into law, only to be used when “convenient” to those in power.

Also, I still remember the '90s when people considered spyware “dangerous”.

PS: it’s not just the “pirates” that Microsoft spies on. In fact, of all the MS product useres out there, the pirates are the ones most protected from Microsoft (since they so often bypass the “anti-piracy” malware features, anyway), while the 100% legal users are the ones loosing their privacy.

I switched to Linux and received no such warning. Strange.

I’m getting to that point, but unfortunately, I have a technophobe living with me that “needs Windows”, and she is very verbal when things don’t work the (same) way that she expects.

She still grumbles about her android phone not being iphone, mostly because it’s not iPhone … because she hasn’t actually had any trouble with it, except the very occasional instance when she didn’t know how to do something (like tether her tablet to her phone during a blackout) … But she wouldn’t know how to do that on iphone either, but rest assured, she knows that it would have been easier on the iphone … thanks to blanket marketing by Apple.

Well there are CCTV in shopping malls and banks spying on innocent people. If someone stole from or assaulted you, I’m sure you would appreciate having the cameras there to help catch the offender.

@TSJ - I don’t think the military were fighting to stop MS from validating your serial number. Validating a software serial number is a bit different to being physically stopped and searched by the police without a good reason. There are loads of software companies who phone home for serial validation and then invalidate the product if you use a pirated key or patch. I’ve yet to see a software company track anyone down for using pirated software. Selling it yes but pirating it, no. The music and movie industries try and track people down downloading their products on torrent sites but they’ve always been assholes.