With dvd shrink 3.05 how to tell which is widescreen stream?

hi all,

i have been using dvd shrink and recently switched from 2.3 to 3.05.

always doing “movie only” re-author mode.

awesome program.

anyhow some dvd’s i have found have 2 streams one being widescreen and the other being 4x3.

i have backed up my copies of “daddy day care” and “the italian job” both of which had 2 separate video vobs which were complete movie. it appears one was 4x3 standard tv full screen and the other letterbox or 16x9 if thats what it is called.

i picked the one that was larger thinking it was the widescreen (it was only slightly larger) and picked wrong on italian job so on daddy day care i picked smaller and it was wrong again.

using dvdshrink 3.05 the preview window is filled up when previewing video so i can’t use that to see which stream is which

i don’t know what u can do about previewing in dvdshrink since i don’t use it, but u can try playing the vobs in something like powerdvd to see which ones contain the video u want.

DVD Decrypter and CloneDVD will both identify the different streams for you.

hi again future,

so then i should use decrypter to open it first then shrink.

thanx i will try that next.

too bad shrink couldn’t get it to show bands on preview so we could tell between 4x3 or 16x9.

thanx

>so then i should use decrypter to open it first then shrink.

Yeah, why not rip to HDD first then let Shrink do it’s thing or you can rip with Shrink using no compression and then inspect with DVD-Decrypter

thanx

I find that if you enable the video preview …a widscreen version will have black bars above and below and the full screen will fill the entire video window.

I´m also having trouble with this, I did a backup of Lion King and it contained two streams. I did not see anything in DVDDecryptor that could help me decide which one was widescreen.
What I did in DVD2One was transcode both streams and watching them afterwards trying to decide which one was correct. I could not see any difference at all.

After reading here that Shrink could tell them apart I tried that too. But shrink listed both streams as one…

“or you can rip with Shrink using no compression and then inspect with DVD-Decrypter”

How to open movie in Decryptor from HDD??

Well, I took the stream with more audio options and it was widescreen.
But just to be futureproof :-), how is it done??

Originally posted by burke55
I find that if you enable the video preview …a widscreen version will have black bars above and below and the full screen will fill the entire video window.

sorry to say my friend but no way does it show black bars above or below on this dvd when preview window is open as the default settings on dvd shrink 3.05.

nor did it do it on another one tested.

so thats out.

I don’t have a 4:3 and 16:9 DVD; however, I’ve got one or the other (or both you might say). So you don’t see something like this in the IFO Mode Stream processing? There can be up to 10 Video streams namely E0-E9. 0xE0 is the first play movie which is why a ripped 0xE1 stream would need to be remapped to E0 for the disc to play correctly.

0xE0 - Video - 720x576 (PAL) / 4:3
0xE1 - Video - 720x576 (PAL) / 16:9

Here’s a shot showing a 4:3 Video Stream

Here’s a shot showing a 16:9 Video Stream

I backed up a film called “the Last Days” over the weekend and it has full screen and widescreen presentations on the disc. The way that I determined which of the two large files was widescreen was by watching the video window. The widescreen version left black bars top and bottom as soon as the actual movie started and when I highlighted the other stream which is full screen it filled the window completely so I surmised it to be 1:33 to 1 or full screen. I was correct. I note this film is not “anamorphic” widescreen or not enhanced for widescreen televisions. Tonight after work I will look through my collection for another movie that has both full and wide on the same disc/same side and let you know what I found.

OK…If the film you are backing up has both a widescreen and full screen on it you can tell the difference provided the widescreen version is at a 2.35:1 aspect ratio then the video display of that stream will show black bars top and bottom while the full screen will fill the entire window. Now a widescreen 1.85:1 aspect ratio film that is anamorphic will also fill the video box in DVD shrink fully. In that case you might have to use DVD decrypter as advertised by FutureProof to determine what is what. Any widsecreen movie that is not anamorphic or in other words not been enhanced for widescreen aspect ratio televisions will display black bars top and bottom. Widescreen films that are non anamorphic and simply letterboxed will normally look like crap on a widescreen display because they were set up to “letterbox” on a standard 4:3 aspect ratio TV. I dont know if this helps anyone but …thats it for what its worth.

thanx to both of you as i got it now.

evidently the disc daddy day care was one i had an issue with but if one looks hard there is a sliver and i mean sliver of black bar top and bottom in preview window (about 1/16" if that).

another dvd showed the bars thicker.

and futureproof thanx for showing me another way to use dvddecrypter :slight_smile:

@ Futureproof
I always ripped in “file mode”, so I have not seen “ifo mode” possibilties earlier.
And I think I misunderstood this: “rip with Shrink using no compression and then inspect with DVD-Decrypter”

I was wondering how you could look at the ripped file using DVD Decrypter as it to my knowledge only worked with DVD drives.
I now understand that after ripping you looked at the DVD disc again :slight_smile:

@ Burke55
yes I also looked for a difference in dimensions but there was none, maybe the two different streams just were different angles?
DVD2One did let me choose one of them, but DVD Shrink listed both streams together.

Thanks guys

Besides the tutorials here, is there somewhere I can read to get a better general understanding of streams etc?

>And I think I misunderstood this:

No you didn’t. I had a brain snap at the time and made the mental leap to mounted .ISO … for some reason I can’t work out

>Besides the tutorials here, is there somewhere I can read to get
>a better general understanding of streams etc?

digital-digest.com

Originally posted by HotBlack
[B]@ Futureproof
I always ripped in “file mode”, so I have not seen “ifo mode” possibilties earlier.
And I think I misunderstood this: “rip with Shrink using no compression and then inspect with DVD-Decrypter”

I was wondering how you could look at the ripped file using DVD Decrypter as it to my knowledge only worked with DVD drives.
I now understand that after ripping you looked at the DVD disc again :slight_smile:

@ Burke55
yes I also looked for a difference in dimensions but there was none, maybe the two different streams just were different angles?
DVD2One did let me choose one of them, but DVD Shrink listed both streams together.

Both movie streams in Lion King are widescreen 1.85:1 aspect ratio…one simply has a new song and the other is the original theatrical cut…but both are widescreen…unless your original is the full screen version.

Thanks guys

Besides the tutorials here, is there somewhere I can read to get a better general understanding of streams etc? [/B]

↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑

Did you leave out something or are you making a point, that I’ve somewhat missed?

Both streams in the lion king are widescreen one will look no different if one looks at the video window in Shrink…you will not be able to distinguish one from the other. One is the original theatrical release and the second stream includes an additional song added after the fact.

Is it a single stream or multiple?

Well, when you reauthor Lion King with Shrink 3 and drag and drop the main movie you will see two titles 35 and 36 automatic compression takes them down to 44% one is 2213 MB and the other is 2251. I see from the video window that the 2213 MB is the special edition and the other is the theatrical release. Both versions have two six channel audio tracks of which one is an enhanced 5.1 audio that makes better dynamic use of the surrounds. I dont know how to tell which one is the enhanced audio track though as they are the same in size. Both versions are 1.66:1 widescreen enhanced.