Witch on should I buy?

vbimport

I am looking to get a new Dvd burner witch on should I buy I was looking a t the LG GSA-4163 but I saw 2 of them one is the

LG GSA-4163BI 16X DVD DUAL DOUBLE LAYER REWRITABLE DRIVE W/RAM FUNCTION
tha other one is

LG GSA-4163BB 16X DVD DUAL DOUBLE LAYER REWRITABLE DRIVE W/SW

thanks you :confused:

Avoid the problems of finding out.

Get a Benq 1640 or a NEC 3540.

Benq and NEC seem to have the best support here at CD Freaks.
Benq is better for + media and NEC is better with - media

Either way you can`t loose

Carthoris

I almost forgot

Lg cant keep its letters straight on its firmware or drives so don`t ask for trouble.

Carthoris

thanks I have a nec drive now in my wifes computer and was looking for one for my computer I like my nec alot but I saw some write ups on the LG. but you just made up my mind nec it is thanks :slight_smile:

Hm… What a cause for trouble. :slight_smile:

4163BI and 4163BB are identical in hardware so not that important to choose between the two. The specification descriptions of DVD writers at sites like newegg.com are often confusing.

I have 2 NEC’s running but didn’t think the 3520 was an improvment over the 3500 and i don’t think i’ll be impressed by 3540 so i thought i’d try an LG 5163 bc the slight better write quality, speed and ram. Don’t get me wrong, the NEC’s are brilliant in all areas (except my 3500 hadn’t been able to read dvdr for quite a while :wink: but i use one of my other drives for that, np) :slight_smile:

I chose the LG 5163 over the Benq 1640 bc i’ll wait for the next good Benq to come out. …

When you flash a drive their is a danger that the drive may not work again.

Their are warnings all over the place especially at the web site where you obtain the firmware. Any confussion is not good especially to a novice

LG should make it very clear which firmware works with each drive. If you check their websites in UK, US, Au they are all different in small ways. Enough to give me concern.

PS: I own a LG 5163D and I do not know for sure what firmware I should use.
I wish to burn Verbatim -R 16X MCC O3RG20 printables.

This is not a problem with my NECs Benqs, or Plextor burners.

Carthoris

BB for the drive with black faceplate, BI for ugly white perhaps?