Wiring my custom PC...help!?!?!?

vbimport

I am a total newbie at this and my components are Asus P5Q SE/R mobo, Corsair 750W PSU, Intel Core 2 Quad 2.83Ghz, Radeon HD 4870, G.Skill memory cards (8GB worth), 250GB Seagate HD and 1TB Seagate HD, Tuniq Tower 120, LG GCW-H20L Super Multi Blue, a Lite On Multi write DVD burner, and a Rosewill 52 in 1 card reader. The tower is Thermaltake. I have everything in the tower but the wiring is very difficult for me because I’m not fimiliar with the wording. I can not find any guides online to aide me in this. Does anyone know exactly what goes where as far as wiring/ psu power cords? Any help would be great. Thanks

Do you not have manuals with your purchased products?

Let’s make you learn a little from this.

Can you tells us this to start with.

Hard drives - Sata? or IDE?

Burners - Sata? or IDE?

:cool::cool:

[quote=platinumsword;2118929]Do you not have manuals with your purchased products?

Let’s make you learn a little from this.

Can you tells us this to start with.

Hard drives - Sata? or IDE?

Burners - Sata? or IDE?

:cool::cool:[/quote]

Hardrives are SATA The Blu Ray Burner is SATA as well. The other burner didn’t come with anything at all so I had to look at and found that it is SATA as well. I have manuals for everything but I dont really know the terminology well enough to understand it yet

I am not doing this in any particular order and the motherboard example may not exactly represent what you have. Here is a start. Sorry for the small print.

My advice would be to look at your older desktop and see where the wires go. If it doesn’t have SATA then look at Platinumsword’s diagram.

What Thermaltake case do you have by the way. I have a silver Armor.

[quote=Bob;2119219]My advice would be to look at your older desktop and see where the wires go. If it doesn’t have SATA then look at Platinumsword’s diagram.

What Thermaltake case do you have by the way. I have a silver Armor.[/quote]

I have the M9 V11000 Series. I don’t have any desk tops. All I have ever owned is laptops, and thought I should get a really good desk top. That’s why I’m building this.

[quote=platinumsword;2119208]I am not doing this in any particular order and the motherboard example may not exactly represent what you have. Here is a start. Sorry for the small print.

:cool::cool:[/quote]

Well after checking all of my packages again and then looking on Newegg (where I bought all my items) I have found out that not only did the Lite On burner not come with any cables/cords but also my video card did not come with everything it was suposed to either. I think that may be my problem. After plugging in the PSU last night I got the green light on the Mobo, but nothing else seemed to be running and no images/sounds showed up on my monitor either. I will be contacting Newegg about the missing items but not untill Tuesady as they are closed for the holiday. In the mean time, do you have any ideas as to what may be my problem with the green light but no beeps or images? I don’t think it is a positove/negative mix up because I have checked that three times.

If you bought the LiteOn as OEM [or even as retail], you won’t be supplied with the cables to connect it. It has been a while since LiteOn [and other companies] did that. They expect you to buy any extra cables you may need if you don’t already have them.

As far as images/sounds, there’s not much to connecting a video card. As long as you put it in the right slot and connect it to a power supply that can provide enough power [if required], then you should have video. And sounds…have you made sure you’ve followed the manuals/guides to connect your audio cables properly?

You could also try starting with the bare essentials [1 hard drive, 1 optical drive, 1 stick of memory, the video card, etc] and do a bit of troubleshooting, as it could be some other bad component.

Also also, make sure that you’ve followed the guide/manual for the motherboard itself [which should be available at Asus’s site] to ensure that the board is getting all the power it needs.

[quote=Albert;2119522]If you bought the LiteOn as OEM [or even as retail], you won’t be supplied with the cables to connect it. It has been a while since LiteOn [and other companies] did that. They expect you to buy any extra cables you may need if you don’t already have them.

As far as images/sounds, there’s not much to connecting a video card. As long as you put it in the right slot and connect it to a power supply that can provide enough power [if required], then you should have video. And sounds…have you made sure you’ve followed the manuals/guides to connect your audio cables properly?

You could also try starting with the bare essentials [1 hard drive, 1 optical drive, 1 stick of memory, the video card, etc] and do a bit of troubleshooting, as it could be some other bad component.

Also also, make sure that you’ve followed the guide/manual for the motherboard itself [which should be available at Asus’s site] to ensure that the board is getting all the power it needs.[/quote]

My vid card didn’t come with the cables/cords either. On Newegg in the picture it shows of the vid card it has like 5 things with the vid card that I didn’t get. That could be a problem too, correct? You mentioned 1 memory stick. I have four memory sticks in my mobo, if one was bad could it cause everything else to not work?

Some MB’s are picky about running 4 sticks of ram right away. The best thing is to put in one stick and then run the BIOS and set the correct voltage and timmings for the ram and then reinstall the other sticks. Also its good to flash the latest bios right away before installing the OS since it will fix any minor bugs that can create headaches.

[QUOTE=jaewest1;2119542]I have four memory sticks in my mobo, if one was bad could it cause everything else to not work?[/QUOTE]
In some strange cases, it could. It’s just a way of troubleshooting.

And I understand the video card lacking cables. :iagree: They may not be totally required, but I’m not sure exactly what the card was supposed to come with and whether or not your setup requires it. Still, it’s nice to get everything that it’s supposed to come with, just in case.

[quote=Albert;2119562]In some strange cases, it could. It’s just a way of troubleshooting.

And I understand the video card lacking cables. :iagree: They may not be totally required, but I’m not sure exactly what the card was supposed to come with and whether or not your setup requires it. Still, it’s nice to get everything that it’s supposed to come with, just in case.[/quote]

Here’s the link to what all the vid card was suposed to come with

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?CurImage=14-129-113-S06&ISList=14-129-113-S01%2C14-129-113-S02%2C14-129-113-S03%2C14-129-113-S04%2C14-129-113-S05%2C14-129-113-S06&S7ImageFlag=1&Item=N82E16814129113&Depa=0&WaterMark=1&Description=VisionTek%20Radeon%20HD%204870%20900244%20Video%20Card%20-%20Retail

All I got was the disc

Stop!,Hold It!, Timeout! :slight_smile:

Before everybody starts firing idea’s, I should have ask this question before you got into it and this is very important.

Does the current bios version on your Asus board support the processor that you have chosen?

If it does not support it, then all you will get is just a green light that says the power is on. Now if this is the case, this is what will have to be done.
You will have to find a processor that is supported put on the board, update the bios and take it off and then put your intended processor on.

Regardless, make sure that the bios is updated before you get involved into installing a OS.

You have a lot of guts in just trying to wing it and there are many different scenarios. It makes it very difficult to help you out when you when being bombarded with a bunch of solutions, because you will not know which way to turn. You might consider taking your computer to a repair shop and have them do it, Depending on how busy they are, it will not take them long to have it up and running.

If you were shorted any parts then address that matter to.

its okay that your drives and video card didn’t come with power adapters, your psu has 8 sata plugs and 4 pci-e.

it may sound silly, but its best to check the simplest things first… make sure there are 2 cables plugged into each drive, one data and one power, next make sure there are 2 6pin pci-e power cables plugged into the video card, lastly make sure the circled plug has power going to it, its really easy to miss and the board won’t boot without it, if you can’t find that 4 pin plug on your power supply look for an 8 pin plug that splits into 2 4 pin plugs, then make sure the cpu cooler fan is plugged into the fan connector labeled “CPU” and not one of the other fan connectors since some boards won’t boot if they don’t detect a cpu fan

also I checked the asus website and your motherboard does support your cpu out of the box :slight_smile:

EDIT: doh! forgot the picture :doh:

Did you get one of these cables with your monitor Link

What model is your monitor?

[QUOTE=jaewest1;2119570]Here’s the link to what all the vid card was suposed to come with

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?CurImage=14-129-113-S06&ISList=14-129-113-S01%2C14-129-113-S02%2C14-129-113-S03%2C14-129-113-S04%2C14-129-113-S05%2C14-129-113-S06&S7ImageFlag=1&Item=N82E16814129113&Depa=0&WaterMark=1&Description=VisionTek%20Radeon%20HD%204870%20900244%20Video%20Card%20-%20Retail

All I got was the disc[/QUOTE]

You might want to politely complain and tell them that you spent a lot of money on your system and you apartently got a returned video card, tell them that they should pay for return shipping as well, and that you want another card.

[quote=eric93se;2119716]Did you get one of these cables with your monitor Link

What model is your monitor?[/quote]

I have a 28" Hanns G monitor. I’m going to speak to them, but the funny part is that the vid card was “factory sealed” it seemed. Yes I got that with the monitor, but it seems that the vid card needs one of the adapters that was suposed to come with it in order to use that cable

Your monitor should have come with this cable. Its the photo to the left of that one.