Wireless networks unsafe, even encrypted?

According to this, WPA and upwards is the safe way to go: WEP isn’t safe enough. Now unfortunately, Nintendo DS only accepts WEP encryption, so if I want to use it I can only have that.

I was also looking at going wireless myself - some mice have just chewed through my Ethernet cabling that goes all through the house, so I was going to get a wireless network card for the PC (2 are already wireless) - any problems with this?

Will I have to use WPA and go without Nintendo Wifi?

WEP is much more crackable than WPA(2 is preferred) but as you’ve noticed not all networking devices supports WEP. WEP is by far better than unencrypted but its not really safe. To be honest, I hardly doubt anyone will take their time (it takes at least 30 min) to hack a random WEP network especially around your place. Make sure to use a long WEP key and MAC address lists and you’ll be fine.
//Danne

Thanks.

I’m still not happy with the prospect of that. Tracking someone can easily reveal sensitivie info like CC details, etc.

Can I ask how WPA2 is safer than WPA? I mean, is WPA crackable - if so, how crackable? Same goes for WPA2?

Also, if I have a wired PC on a network with wireless PCs on it, can they still access my PC via one of the others (if there is weak or no wireless encryption)?

ALL encryption is hackable given enough time and enough resources (it must be or you would never be able to get the data back from it using the correct key, you just need to find the key).

I think you are worrying without any real need to. WEP encryption is hackable, yes, but it takes time and the data on your wireless network would probably not be worth much to someone that did actually connect to it. If you were a credit card comapny that used wireless and stored all your credit card numbers and pins on a single database then expect people to try and crack it.

WEP encryption will be fine for general use and will stop 99% of hackers that go past your house.

As with any encryption, use the best form that is usable on all devices.

WEP and WPA are already too obsolete because they are easily hacked…
If, then go with WPA2 on all devices.

AFAIK cracking WPA-PSK still requires a brute force attack on the password, and if you choose a good (long and random) password, such a brute force attack is impractical.

WPA-PSK using a good password should be safe unless you’re up against a three-letter-agency, in which case a wired network is also unsafe.

[QUOTE=chef;1948186]WEP and WPA are already too obsolete because they are easily hacked…
If, then go with WPA2 on all devices.[/QUOTE]

I know WEP has been well and truly cracked for years. I didn’t
know WPA had fallen too! Other than guessing the key, is
there a known hack for WPA?

Like Drage pointed out.

For me it would be too risky nevertheless.

Just change the password every now and then.

[quote=DrageMester;1948191]AFAIK cracking WPA-PSK still requires a brute force attack on the password, and if you choose a good (long and random) password, such a brute force attack is impractical.

WPA-PSK using a good password should be safe unless you’re up against a three-letter-agency, in which case a wired network is also unsafe.[/quote]
I have heard with WPA-PSK it slows down the signal, is that true?:confused: I use WEP, just setup a new Linksys WRT54GS and WEP seems to work fine.

[quote=groovemeister;1947472]According to this, WPA and upwards is the safe way to go: WEP isn’t safe enough. Now unfortunately, Nintendo DS only accepts WEP encryption, so if I want to use it I can only have that.

I was also looking at going wireless myself - some mice have just chewed through my Ethernet cabling that goes all through the house, so I was going to get a wireless network card for the PC (2 are already wireless) - any problems with this?

Will I have to use WPA and go without Nintendo Wifi?[/quote]
My sons DS Lite is set up with WEP and for some reason I do not have any idea why someone would even try to hack into this.:confused:

[quote=alan1476;1948326]I have heard with WPA-PSK it slows down the signal, is that true?:confused: I use WEP, just setup a new Linksys WRT54GS and WEP seems to work fine.[/quote] I doubt that WPA-PSK would negatively impact performance compared to WEP. Unencrypted vs encrypted could make a difference for slow hardware, however.

WEP of any key length has been proven weak and can be cracked by a determined and capable hacker within minutes. I’m not sure how easy it is to crack for a hacker-wannabe.

Still, using WEP is far better than using no encryption at all.

On at least routers based on Broadcom CPUs WPA2 are actually faster with WPA2 than with WPA1, Keep in mind that most WLAN-cards doesnt support WPA2 so I suggest that you actually take a few mins to do some research.
In general, Atheros chipsets have good sensitivity, drivers and support WPA2.
//Danne

Anyone here not use encryption? :smiley: