Wireless Internet Software

The laptop I recently bought only had a 90 day wireless internet program. So now I need to buy a new one. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Nobody here knows what companies in your region offer wireless internet access…

No I mean the actual program you use to find the wireless network.

Let me get this straight. You already have an ISP but you can’t connect to the internet? Are you trying to connect from some place that has wireless, like Starbucks or an internet cafe? Your laptop probably came with either Vista or XP both of which have wireless networking built-in, you don’t need another program to connect to the internet.

[quote=shmoove;2207536]No I mean the actual program you use to find the wireless network.[/quote]This is a part of Windows (XP and Vista), often overridden by an application that is part of the driver for your WLAN adapter.
No need for some 90 days trial software.

Michael

I think this person wants just any app that will find wireless signals? Off hand i don’t know of any.

[QUOTE=Bob;2207617]I think this person wants just any app that will find wireless signals? Off hand i don’t know of any.[/QUOTE]

Windows uses wireless roaming anyway, so if he is within range it should show it when he clicks on the little icon at the bottom right of the screen and selects “view wireless networks”.

If you want to know the wireless access points in an area check out this web site:

http://www.wi-fihotspotlist.com/

ok maybe i’ll explain this way. There are software apps that will do this (use google to find some). Here is an example and i have no idea how good it is http://desktop.google.com/plugins/i/milk_wireless_signal_meter.html?hl=en software apps other than M$ apps is what i am talking about.

Also there are hardware signal strength meters you can buy i believe.

but the more i think about it this may not be what they want…

Another guess:

anyone remembers the old days, when a new computer came with AOL software preloaded? Mostly this was accompanied by 30 days or 100 hrs etc free access.

Perhaps the computer of the thread starter came with preinstalled access software from a commercial wireless provider (either WLAN hot spots or even UMTS or similar).

Michael