Wireless connection is not workng!

vbimport

I have my friend’s notebook (Dell inspiron 1525) installed with vista, he had a problem with his wireless connection from his notebook.

Every time he tries to connect to the internet it wont let him do so.However, the wireless signal stile exist, i though it would work if i formatted the vista an install xp to solve this problem but it didn’t.

Usually it tells me driver is not installed in xp, even though i installed it.

How to i get the wireless work?

WiFi can be set up in two ways:

• Using the Operating System WiFi network (Vista Network Center, XP network settings)
  • The tools that came with the driver.

Steps i advice

• Make sure the WiFi network you are using has plenty of signal strength. If not, go to its setup and choose a different channel.

• Get the latest stable driver either from your manufacturer (Dell) or the end manufacturer of the WiFi Network Interface Card (Intel?). Make sure the downloaded tools are working! The latest Intel Pro set drivers are awesome and give lots of advanced features like automatic wifi domain login, signal boost, etc.

• Log in as administrator and remove any wireless network interface card driver. Reboot

• Make sure the WiFi signal is on and that it can find SSIDs (those are the names of the wireless signals)

• Remove any saved WiFi profiles. Go to the WiFi network card driver, go to its advanced settings and uncheck all the marks regarding energy savings. Set the signal strength to maximum. Reboot

• Open up the network control configuration of either XP or your WiFi NIC (depending on how you configured it). Click on your SSID and put in the password.

• Check the signal strength. If possible try to reposition the antenna to get a better signal.

I believe it’s a hardware problem because when i stick the laptop to the router it works, anyways i have to change the wireless chip.

[QUOTE=bozee33;2493487]I believe it’s a hardware problem because when i stick the laptop to the router it works, [/quote]Well, this is comparing apples and bananas. :wink:
Instead of installing another Windows version with possibly the same buggy software/drivers, I’d rather try a recent Linux Live CD. If there is the same problem, then it is a hardware issue.

At first, uninstall th eIntel ProSet software. Windows built-in WLAN utility is more reliable. Then try again.

anyways i have to change the wireless chip.
If the WLAN tool reports problems, are there any entries in the event log? Any problem indications in device manager?

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2493601]Well, this is comparing apples and bananas. :wink:
Instead of installing another Windows version with possibly the same buggy software/drivers, I’d rather try a recent Linux Live CD. If there is the same problem, then it is a hardware issue.

At first, uninstall th eIntel ProSet software. Windows built-in WLAN utility is more reliable. Then try again.

If the WLAN tool reports problems, are there any entries in the event log? Any problem indications in device manager?

Michael[/QUOTE]
:disagree: oh no… linux is bad for wireless… took my linux laptop three hours to get the driver using fwcutter.
here’s the obvious first steps. uninstall that eintel crap, uninstall the driver, with the machine connected to the internet via ethernet cable and allow windows to find your driver. then make sure there is no switch for the wifi (if so please make sure it is in the on position, and also check to make sure wireless is enable in BIOS and in the OS). If all else fails, rip out the wireless card and replace.

forgot to mention, you may want to check the router’s settings, make sure there aren’t access restrictions… et cetera…

[QUOTE=justnandbrtny;2494655]:disagree: oh no… linux is bad for wireless…[/quote]It depends. Intel WLAN as used in the Dell laptop of the thread starter works out-of-the box, given a recent Linux distro is used.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2494846]It depends. Intel WLAN as used in the Dell laptop of the thread starter works out-of-the box, given a recent Linux distro is used.

Michael[/QUOTE]
true, but at any rate, i doubt the user wants to abandon his OS or risk data loss with shrinking partitions. Booting from a live cd/usb would be best if that is the option he wishes to take.

Reinstall from scratch and it’ll work, installing Linux is hardly a solution…
//Danne

[QUOTE=justnandbrtny;2494925]true, but at any rate, i doubt the user wants to abandon his OS or risk data loss with shrinking partitions. Booting from a live cd/usb would be best if that is the option he wishes to take.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2495006]Reinstall from scratch and it’ll work, installing Linux is hardly a solution…
//Danne[/QUOTE]
I did not recommend to install Linux, I recommended using a Live CD. :rolleyes:

Michael