Wireless card failed

vbimport

Had to clean the cooling fan area on an HP dv7 laptop. this requires removal of motherboard for access. after reassembly forgot to attach antennas to wireless card before powering up. Did this fry the card?:sad:

My advise would be to re open it and attach the cables back to the wifi card, most times they are placed in a separate slot so it should be fine, and also not that expensive to replace if something goes wrong.

[QUOTE=vroom;2776489]My advise would be to re open it and attach the cables back to the wifi card, most times they are placed in a separate slot so it should be fine, and also not that expensive to replace if something goes wrong.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for response. Tried that but would not respond. Replacement is limited to certain cards because HP uses “whitelist” to prvent third party cards to be recognized by the BIOS:sad:

In case that the internal card doesnt work then you either have to find a drive that is compatible, or buy an external USB WIFI, that should not be that expensive but it will take a USB slot.

You might also try to re seat the card, or do a bios reset.

Hope that helps.

I’ll second that vroom :slight_smile:
Re-seating the card is absolutely worth trying. and make sure the antenna cables are properly inserted (they can be hard to get to snap in place sometimes).

Update to the failed wifi card. Decided to get the replacement from HP because of the compatibility issue. I’ts fixed.Not the cheapest method, did’nt want something external hanging of the laptop. Apparently my first thought was that operating a rf transmitter without a proper load will not be good. I knew that from my Ham experience. If you are running anything with some power you will see smoke, but this device is so weak that there is no obvious indication except for failure.

I know I’m more than a year late on this but check out this HP manual for the DV7 laptop on the HP web site:

there’s a list of internal wireless cards that can be used on the DV7 series laptops.