WinXP worst operating system out!

When it came out, I put it on all 4 of my pcs
first it was taken of those with burners (cos they became unreliable at burning)
next it came off my pc with a scanner (cos there were no scanner drivers for XP using my UMAX scanner)

and my final PC has just had it removed…
I was using this pc for reading dvd-rw and noticed
100% cpu usage when copying files from it???
Maybe it was the pio mode 4 the liteon 163 was working in
selected use dma when available…it wouldn’t

WinME DMA selected on all drives…easy
reading a dvd-rw now…CPU usage 30%
thats more like it…XP in the bin where it belongs

Good to see another satisifed mircosoft customer,bill aims to please.

I love my XP.

Windows 2000 Professional works for me…
It did not at first, when very little drivers were available, but now it works like a charm.

(mind you, don’t play games myself. Although almost all games work fine on Win2k, not all of them do, but this is no problem for me)

I installed XP at the moment it came into stores and at first I found it quite nice (lots like 2k, just booting faster). After some time I began experiencing some problems: I had to re-install directX everytime after playing a game (otherwise the next game I tried to start crashed!) and my keyboard sometimes stopped working. Also the search (for files) of XP is a real terror (sooo slow!).

So I decided to go back to Win2k again. That one’ still running fine here.

I recently bought a notebook. Windows XP came with it. Guess what: different version of Windows, different software (all original!) and the same problems!

For now, XP is still on my notebook but that’s going to change as well. Windows 2000 it is, running steady as she goes :wink:

99% of the problems with windows Xp, arent the fault of the OS, but from the Person using it. Ive Installed Windows XP on my machine in oktober 2001 and It`s still running verry smooth without any problems. When I was running Windows 2k Before win Xp I had to reinstall once in 3 months…

Originally posted by xian
99% of the problems with windows Xp, arent the fault of the OS, but from the Person using it. Ive Installed Windows XP on my machine in oktober 2001 and It`s still running verry smooth without any problems. When I was running Windows 2k Before win Xp I had to reinstall once in 3 months…

Haha, read that Dee-ehn? :wink:

I also haven’t had problems with XP. Can’t compare with 2k but I love XP.

even i have no problems with XP! infact imo it’s pretty good!

Originally posted by sarahjh69
WinME DMA selected on all drives…easy

now that’s a crap OS!!

No problems with XP here too

Been using it for 8months - only 1 BSOD up to now + some restarts with no reason at all… still better than win98-Me

Win2k are by far more stable but still many games refuse to run with it plus they are slower in win2k compared to XP, so i’ll stick to XP for now

Originally posted by dansmug

Haha, read that Dee-ehn? :wink:

Yeps I did. Still I think I know how to handle a computer (especially one running Windows, it’s that easy) ;).

Originally posted by Hepispasm

Win2k are by far more stable but still many games refuse to run with it plus they are slower in win2k compared to XP, so i’ll stick to XP for now

I disagree. I’ve found no games sofar (except for some very old ones ofcourse) that don’t run under 2k but do under XP.
Besides that, I get a higher framerate with 2k than with XP.

I recently read an (quality) article about 2k vs XP when using games… conclusion: for ancient games XP is better, for performance 2k is the winner! The best however, still is Win98SE…

Doens’t anybody here really hate the search function of XP? It’s so slow! When searching my HDD for the first time (after opening the search window) it takes some time in 2k. Let’s say about a minute, for my 165Gb disc. In XP that takes about 5 minutes!
When doing a second (or third etc) search, XP uses again about 5 minutes. Windows 2k however, does that in 5 secs. Since I use the function really really a lot… no more XP!

Besides that, I get a higher framerate with 2k than with XP.

Well me on the other hand got higher framerates with XP tha win2k - that’s why i chose XP finally…

Maybe it depends on the game/card or something :confused:

Originally posted by Hemispasm
[B] Well me on the other hand got higher framerates with XP tha win2k - that’s why i chose XP finally…

Maybe it depends on the game/card or something :confused: [/B]

I think it has to… by the time I tested it, I was using a GF2-MX with 32MB on it.

Now I’m using a 128MB GF4-Ti4200 and still running Win2k…

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
[B]

Doens’t anybody here really hate the search function of XP? It’s so slow! When searching my HDD for the first time (after opening the search window) it takes some time in 2k. Let’s say about a minute, for my 165Gb disc. In XP that takes about 5 minutes!
[/B]

i caught xp’s search going through large .rar files searching for a picture that i had misplaced. i stopped searching with xp after that.

Originally posted by ckin2001
[B]

i caught xp’s search going through large .rar files searching for a picture that i had misplaced. i stopped searching with xp after that. [/B]

So what do you use when you’re looking for a particular file?

eyes
:slight_smile:

I’m willing to bet non of u that think XP is good
are doing much with it. Or have much in the way of
special equipment.

I use my systems to do such things as burn DVDs
with mapped network drives as data sources.
Reencode dvds to Divx
Scan and manipulate images in photoshop
Play movies to TV outs.

All you kiddies playing a few games with bog standard
geforce2 cards can hardly expect to find the major
flaws in XP

On Windows 98 I never had any problems (maybe one BSOD a month), switched to XP and it’s BSOD hell (BSOD, reboot, not doing anything, BSOD, reboot, BSOD)

I already have a lot less BSODs because of new drivers, but I still prefer Windows 98 when it comes to stability, worked a lot better for me.

I use XP to work in Photoshop & Fireworks
Encode DivX
Burn :slight_smile:
Play games
Word and Excel
Using my computer as a FTP Server in a small network
I also use my computer to watch DivX on my TV (TV-out as you mentioned)

And I still get few halt’s and almost never any reboots. So you see I do stuff with my computer and it works perfect! :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
[B]

When doing a second (or third etc) search, XP uses again about 5 minutes. Windows 2k however, does that in 5 secs. Since I use the function really really a lot… no more XP! [/B]

Yes, I do, and Dont ask me how I did it, because I really dont know but Ive Got the search function of xp disabled and got the normal search function, even the freakindog and the search options are gone.

Originally posted by DoMiN8ToR
On Windows 98 I never had any problems

Yeah Win98 SE works like a charm for me. I’ve got in my PC always two OS. Win98 SE (or sometimes Win ME) with Win2k. I changed that for a while, and installed WinXP :Z . I tested it for two weeks and I couldn’t stand it any more. Now I’ve got again Win98 SE for playing games and some ‘light programs’ and I burn cd’s in Win2k and have there all the other prog’s I use. Works fine for me till now. :smiley: