WinXp Wizard Home Network screwed up settings

vbimport

This is a question on behalf of a colleague, who screwed up his internet at home. I do not have all details, but I know he tried to find solutions on the web (using his parents’ computer), spent many hours on that, but to no avail so far. So I bragged about the people here, so I hope you can live up to it :wink:

As far as I understand, the situation is as follows:

[ul]
[li]He has a Fritz Box 7170 wireless router to connect to ADSL (provider: xs4all.nl)
[/li][li]He uses Windows XP (I assume Home version) on the 2 computers he would like to turn into a home network
[/li][li]He ran the Wizard Home Network in WindowsXP on both computers
[/li][li]The router is still found, but connection to the internet appears no longer possible
[/li][li]He tried to undo the wizard, but without success
[/li][li]His work laptop uses Windows XP Pro. He did not try to include this work laptop in his home network. The work laptop still finds the router, but can no longer connect to the internet through that router
[/li][/ul]

I suggested that he reset the router/modem to its default settings, but this didn’t help. Because his work laptop cannot connect to the internet, I have a strong feeling this is a router setting problem, but I am not able to check myself.

My questions to you:

[ul]
[li]How can he undo what he has done (doubt he used system restore)?
[/li][li]What (free) tool would be best/easiest to setup a home network for 2 computers using Windows XP?
[/li][/ul]

Any other tips are very welcome. I hope this can be resolved soon…that way he can work from home too again :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks!

I’m not sure that can help, but try this

Double click on the tray icon of the net card (see picture) and then press the Propriety button.

from there select the “Internet TCP/IP” line and double click on it.

then in “Default Gateway” insert the IP address of the router.

Thanks Geno!
Forwarded your info and he will try tonight…if that doesn’t work. he’ll be on the phone with the helpdesk…all night if necessary :wink:

The router is still found, but connection to the internet appears no longer possible

Wireless router is not finding the

ADSL (provider: xs4all.nl)

Can he hook up a computer to the ADSL router and get to the internet still?
If he can then double check the settings for the wireless router to the ADSL router.That IP address

What (free) tool would be best/easiest to setup a home network for 2 computers using Windows XP?

The wizard works pretty good as far as hooking up Windows computers to Windows computers.

Thanks for the suggestions. I just received a message from my colleague.
Apparently it was a combination of a failed wizard setup and a malfunction in the provider’s network in his area…
He got it working…and learned a valuable lesson: first contact helpdesk

Again, thanks for your support…hopefully this thread will be of help to someone else in the future…

All’s well that ends well :bigsmile: