This is a question on behalf of a colleague, who screwed up his internet at home. I do not have all details, but I know he tried to find solutions on the web (using his parents' computer), spent many hours on that, but to no avail so far. So I bragged about the people here, so I hope you can live up to it
As far as I understand, the situation is as follows:
- He has a Fritz Box 7170 wireless router to connect to ADSL (provider: xs4all.nl)
- He uses Windows XP (I assume Home version) on the 2 computers he would like to turn into a home network
- He ran the Wizard Home Network in WindowsXP on both computers
- The router is still found, but connection to the internet appears no longer possible
- He tried to undo the wizard, but without success
- His work laptop uses Windows XP Pro. He did not try to include this work laptop in his home network. The work laptop still finds the router, but can no longer connect to the internet through that router
I suggested that he reset the router/modem to its default settings, but this didn't help. Because his work laptop cannot connect to the internet, I have a strong feeling this is a router setting problem, but I am not able to check myself.
My questions to you:
- How can he undo what he has done (doubt he used system restore)?
- What (free) tool would be best/easiest to setup a home network for 2 computers using Windows XP?
Any other tips are very welcome. I hope this can be resolved soon...that way he can work from home too again