WinXP: The device \'Optiarc DVD RW AD-7203S\' disappeared from the system... (Optiarc AD-7203S)

[qanda]This question is published in the hardware section for the Optiarc AD-7203S. Click here to view full specs.[/qanda]Hmmm, I encounter quite fatal errors in a running WinXP Pro SP3 ENU which has been installed cleanly from a slipstreamed XP SP3 disc…
The DVD is being thrown out of a running WinXP without any DVD activities!

Here’s the error log from the Windows Event Monitoring System (System Events):

1. The device, DeviceIdeiaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period.
  2. The device, DeviceCdRom0, is not ready for access yet.
  3. The device, DeviceCdRom0, is not ready for access yet.
  4. The device ‘Optiarc DVD RW AD-7203S’ (IDECdRomOptiarc_DVD_RW_AD-7203S_________________1.06____4&37df755d&0&0.1.0) disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.

Well, I gonna first update to the latest Optiarc firmware (1.09) as of tonight. I don’t think it’s the Intel Storage Mgr Driver or the Intel Southbridge hardware, since the ICH10R is manufactured and sold million times… I have a brand new GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS4, iP45, with solid SATA cables. Currently, the DVD drive and/or its firmware are my prime suspects.

So, I try the new firmware - if this won’t help, I check another SATA connector on the motherboard.
Otherwise, the DVD drive will definitely be gone!

Hi and Welcome,

I don’t think, this is a firmware related issue. Also, I would not try any firmware update attempt if the drive is “ejected” as described.
Please double check the Sata cables (perhaps it’s just a bad cable), trying another Sata port is another good idea.

Perhaps it is also a driver related issue. Make sure you have latest drivers from Intel installed. Or use Windows default drivers. You may try if switching the Sata operation mode to IDE does help, also.

Michael

NOT firmware related.

Hmmm, I encounter quite fatal errors in a running WinXP Pro SP3 [B]ENU[/B] which has been installed cleanly from a slipstreamed XP SP3 disc…
The DVD is being thrown out of a running WinXP without any DVD activities!

I strongly suggest you ASK your system builder …

Aside from that, ICH10R seems to be the problem. Is is set up in RAID MODE?

Hello all,

Well, this issue appeared spuriously in total three times during the last three days - once per day. I’ve been tracking down a WinXP ACPI shutdown hang issue (http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php), and finally came along the DVD issue in the system event log. This seems at least to be one evident reason for the WinXP shutdown hang.

The HDD and DVD drive are in native AHCI mode (no RAID) on SATA port 0 and 1. The BIOS detects both of them properly during boot-up. Also during WinXP boot-time, there is no issue. I installed the whole system from within this DVD drive. So I’m really wondering, what breaks the SATA communication link after few hours of operation…

best regards,
Peter

You have the Gigabyte mobo sata drivers installed?

I’ve installed the latest Intel AHCI driver (iastor, version 8.7.0.1007) at install time. Meanwhile, there are newer ones:

Gigabyte somehow only listes older drivers:
http://www.gigabyte.de/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=2751

Well, the Intel AHCI release notes (8.7.0.1007) shows some interesting open issues:
http://downloadmirror.intel.com/17268/eng/releasenotes.htm

Maybe I need to upgrade to the latest AHCI driver release (8.8.0.1009):
http://downloadmirror.intel.com/17412/eng/releasenotes.htm

While writing this message, the DVD drive with the new firmware (1.09) has gone again:
The device ‘Optiarc DVD RW AD-7203S’ (IDE\CdRomOptiarc_DVD_RW_AD-7203S_________________1.09____\4&37df755d&0&0.1.0) disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.

regards,
Peter

This really sounds like a driver glitch. :frowning:

I do have the same problem, but with a Pioneer DVR-216 drive. I also have the Optiarc 7203S but never got timeouts for that drive.
I’ve tried several suggestions but so far I couldn’t fix the issue permanently. The timeout error now only occurs from time to time, but it is still a problem.

http://www.sony-optiarc.eu/supportservice/downloads/dvddrivesdesktoppcs/ad7203s.html

Firmware 1.09 for AD7203S:

1. Countermeasure: Drive cannot play recorded DVD-R DL CPRM Disc with PowerDVD.
  2. Countermeasure: [B]SATA Drive recognition issue in a particular PC environment.[/B](Change the COMINIT response time)
  3. Write Strategy update (CD-R/-RW, DVD+R, DVD+/-RW, DVD+/-R DL, DVD-RAM)

Edit: seems, as if the firmware update did not help :confused:

Hello folks

During the last days I’ve updated both, Intel AHCI driver and DVD drive firmware, to the latest editions.
Intel AHCI: 8.8.0.1009
DVD firmware: 1.09

Now it seems to work much better, although sometimes I’ve still a few errors in the WinXP system event log. But they only refer to an increased timeout period:
Error “The device, DeviceCdRom0, is not ready for access yet.”

At least the drive does no longer disappear causing a fatal error for the plug-and-play-manager. And my system gets a smooth shutdown (or standby/hibernate)…

regards,
Peter

For those who have a similar problem and want to check it:

Start Windows XP Event Viewer:
Win-r, then type eventvwr

My issues are listed as follows:
Error <date> <time> iaStor (Source) None (Category) 9 (Event)
“The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period.”