WinXP SP3 Problems

vbimport

Just installed SP3 on 2 WinXP Pro systems, and one still works fine while the other has serious problems. The system still working normally is an AMD 2600 with Nvidia chipset, and the system with problems is an AMD 3400 with Via chipset. The problems include very slow boot of about 5 minutes compared to only 45 seconds for the previous SP2 boot time, Zonealarm only works when started manually, Defrag won’t start, Avast won’t start, Automatic Updates don’t work and IE7 won’t start while Mozilla SeaMonkey works normally.

Google searches finds some fixed slow boot by running Defrag, but that won’t work for my situation since Defrag won’t work plus I have numerous other problems. Unless there’s a way to fix problems, I may have to revert to SP2. Has anybody had similar problems or know how to fix such problems?

Did you check if DMA is enabled? VIA chipsets are known to have issues with DMA. This could explain the very poor performance.

If DMA is not enabled (because of buggy VIA drivers, try to install microsoft drivers (simply uninstalling VIA drivers, so Windows automatically should install standard drivers), most of times this solve.

To exclude completely issues caused in some way by windows, can you test the system with a live CD (any Linux distro is good to run a quick test)? If with a live CD the machine is faster, then maybe something went wrong during Xp installation, and a fresh install of XP should solve :slight_smile:

If also with a live CD the machine shows the same problem, then I think that there is a hardware problem somewhere.

Bear in mind that a live CD usually run from the CD, so it is anyway slower than a system running from a HDD, but if something is not working good you should be able to distinguish if the problem is in the XP installation or in some computer hardware component :slight_smile:

The system is multi boot with Win98 and Win2k which still run normally which indicates it’s not likely a hardware issue. Clicking Properties for IDE channels doesn’t work, i.e. no properties displayed when clicking Properties. Would uninstalling and reinstalling Zonealarm and Avast help since they’re not working correctly? I thought about reverting to SP2 and then do upgrade install using slipstreamed SP3 CD. Do you think this would do any good?

[QUOTE=geno888;2535583]… VIA chipsets are known to have issues with DMA. [/quote]This must have been in the last century.

If DMA is not enabled (because of buggy VIA drivers,
cough

[QUOTE=bevills1;2535576]Just installed SP3 on 2 WinXP Pro systems, and one still works fine while the other has serious problems. The system still working normally is an AMD 2600 with Nvidia chipset, and the system with problems is an AMD 3400 with Via chipset. The problems include very slow boot of about 5 minutes compared to only 45 seconds for the previous SP2 boot time, Zonealarm only works when started manually, Defrag won’t start, Avast won’t start, Automatic Updates don’t work and IE7 won’t start while Mozilla SeaMonkey works normally. [/quote]Check event viewer if there are any hints.
Additionally, I would not exclude a massive malware infection. Scan the system with a live CD (for example:

[ol]
[li]F-Secure: http://www.f-secure.com/en_EMEA/security/tools/rescue-cd/
[/li][li]Kaspersky: http://support.kaspersky.com/de/faq/?qid=207621584 and
[/li]http://support.kaspersky.com/de/faq/?qid=207621612
[li]AVG: http://www.avg.com/de-de/avg-rescue-cd
[/li][li]Bitdefender: http://kb.bitdefender.com/KB627-de--bitdefender-notfall-cd-erstellen.html and
[/li]http://www.bitdefender.de/site/KnowledgeBase/consumer/#417
[li]Avira: http://www.avira.com/en/support/support_downloads.html
[/li][/ol]
(some links are in german, but normally, most have a switch to the english sites.)

Also, check RAM and HDD for errors. Memtest86 and the Diagnostics tools from the HDD manufacturers are your friends.
Have a look at the capacitors on the motherboard.

Unless there’s a way to fix problems, I may have to revert to SP2.
If you can rule out hardware related problems, I’d rather format the partition and start with a clean install (Install disc with SP3 integrated preferred).

Michael

my 2 cents: if you re-install SP3 make sure Zone-alarm & Avast are disabled
also remove as many non-Windows programs as possible from start-up with Windows Defender/Tools
good luck!

[QUOTE=dave.evill;2535606]my 2 cents: if you re-install SP3 make sure Zone-alarm & Avast are disabled
also remove as many non-Windows programs as possible from start-up with Windows Defender/Tools
good luck![/QUOTE]

That doesn’t make sense…how can you have ZA or Avast installed when your just installing the O/S by itself? And complete wiped and reinstalled XP with SP3 before installing anything should improve your computer performance and functions.

Ghost image of the WinXP SP2 partition that was created just before installing SP3 was restored. Then a slipstreamed Win XP SP3 CD was used to do an upgrade install which fixed all problems, and everything works normally with SP3 installed. I’ve no idea why installing the service pack caused so many problems or why the upgrade install worked perfectly, but I’m glad it did.

[QUOTE=bevills1;2535668]Ghost image of the WinXP SP2 partition that was created just before installing SP3 was restored. Then a slipstreamed Win XP SP3 CD was used to do an upgrade install which fixed all problems, and everything works normally with SP3 installed. I’ve no idea why installing the service pack caused so many problems or why the upgrade install worked perfectly, but I’m glad it did.[/QUOTE]

Without knowing the software of ghost your using and hardware specs it’s hard to know what is going on. I used Acronis to do image backup because past experiences with norton ghost wasn’t very good…I had xp sp2 and sp3 service without any problems. I used the download service pack for sp3 and cd for sp2.

I now suspect Zonealarm and Avast may have caused problems since they either didn’t work correctly or didn’t work at all after SP3 install. I also read on another forum that firewall, spyware and anti-virus should be disabled during SP install which makes sense. Why 1 PC had problems and the other didn’t I don’t know, but it’s probably a good idea to disable such programs when installing service packs. Note the upgrade install had the added benefit of not using up space to store backup and uninstall files created when SP3 was installed, and there was a space saving of about 1.5GB. Also note there’s no uninstall option after the upgrade install, but that’s not need in my situation since I have the SP2 Ghost image if needed.

Unless there is some really pressing reason to do otherwise
(loss of bundled software that I don’t have re-install discs for)

I find that when reinstalling an operating system or even simply upgrading from XP-SP2 to XP-SP3 it’s often best to start with a clean install by FORMATTING the drive or partition it will be installed on.

I don’t like installing XP on a drive where the partition will be shared with data storage.

I typically partition the drive to leave a 25-35gb boot partition and move all the data to a seperate partition (usually designated as E:, because I prefed D: to be the optical drive)

so if you have data move it elsewhere (another physical drive) before starting.

I’ve never heard of any issue related specifically to SP3 Vs SP2
other than the new parts being written to the drive usually cause greater fragmentation of files than was already present on the drive.

Infact I usually find that sp3 runs better than the earlier version…

basically what I’m saying is, is that the upgrade isn’t the problem, but it iwas “the last straw” so to speak of a pre-exsisting condition… usually lack of system maintainance.

Other than doing “Crash recovery” (my Re-install discs are never out of reach) I find that an awful lot of my personal work load is dealing with customer machines that “are just so slow, I think I need a newer faster machine” and they are usually suprised what I can do with their “old POS computer”

Frankly a newer faster machine will be just as pharked up in just a couple of months, given the typical user’s system maintainance neglect.

Do a Disc cleanup (Control panel>Administrative controls>Disc management>(RT Click drive)>Drive properties and push the disc cleanup button.

then Run a registry cleaner (I like “CCleaner”) on the problem machine and defrag the drive (I use BOTH “Smart Defrag” and “Defraggler” and see what happens…

AD