WinXP SP3 Problem After Boot

vbimport

The problem began about 3 weeks ago after Avast anti-virus update. Approximately twice a week system boots to Desktop with all icons but missing icons in the systray, and no icons respond when mouse is clicked plus CtrlAltDel doesn’t bring up Task Manager. The only way the system will work again is to completely power off manually and restart. I’ve also noticed mup.sys used to be the last thing to load when booting to safe mode, but now there are 2 additional things that load after mup.sys that I think were added by the Avast update.

Could this problem be due to the Avast update or maybe an early sign of a failing hard drive? If it is due to the Avast update, should I switch to AVG, Avira or other anti-virus?

It won’t hurt to uninstall Avast and see if that solves the problem.

Of the free antivirus programs available, you could also use Microsoft Security Essentials.

I found a post from another thread in which somebody suggested turning off AutoSandbox in Avast and tried it for a few days, and there’ve been no problems so far. One thing about the current Avast 8 version I dislike though is its check for other software updates like Adobe Reader. Does anyone know if that feature can be turned off?

You can stop the software update but I think it comes back on a reboot.
I will check mine for a few days & see. I know I stopped it & when I checked in response to your question it was started.

Kerry56 is right, uninstall avast with a good uninstaller (free geek uninstaller is best, it cleans all data/registry entries besides the prog files), then install it again - if you feel loyal and won’t switch. It was a good thing for a while, then it fell prey to its own success and started to “improve”. If you don’t believe me, take a look at its size in Add/Remove Programs, but also in Documents & Settings/user/App Data. It’s many Gb’s which clog the PC.

I haven’t had problems with Avast . I could do without the software updater.
I may have to complain to Avast about that . Today it was started again so I guess the only way to have it stopped is to do it every day on boot.

@ petremure , Vista must be different than XP on the Avast size.
No folder at all in App Data. The “Programs & Features” Vista’s equivalent to “Add/Remove” shows 153MB & C:\Program Data \AVAST Software\Avast shows
83MB . The Program files Avast folder is 324MB so about a half GB on Vista. could be smaller for my part though.

Monday the problem recurred which must mean something else in Avast is the culprit. I didn’t want to spend a lot of time trying to fix it and decided to uninstall Avast. Google search results indicate some short comings with mse, and I really don’t like AVG that I used before Avast. Search results on Avira look very good, and I decided to try it. No android protection is the only knock against Avira that I found, but I have no android devices and don’t need that. Avira does have a separate android program if anyone were to need it. I’ve been running Avira since Monday and no problems yet. I’ve noticed the Avira updates don’t slow down things as much as Avast updates did which is another plus for Avira.

I used Avira for a while & found it to be a good AV.
I can’t remember why I switched to Avast exactly but it was something about the way Avira updated .
It wasn’t because Avira wasn’t doing a good job of protecting my PC.

[QUOTE=cholla;2683309]I used Avira for a while & found it to be a good AV.
I can’t remember why I switched to Avast exactly but it was something about the way Avira updated .
It wasn’t because Avira wasn’t doing a good job of protecting my PC.[/QUOTE]

I thought Avira was doing a good job of protecting my XP laptop until I tried Sunsytems antivirus and and malware programs. Found a bunch of critters that Avira missed. The only problem I had with Avast on XP was with all of my FLAC files. It hated them and it took forever to scan my hard drive. I ended up going with BitDefender. Of course now I"m having problems with that in W7, but that’s another topic.