WinXP Service Pack 1?

is WinXP Service Pack 1 out ???
searched for it on microsofts site and found nothin.
were do u get it from?

This are probably leaked versions, I suggest you look around a bit on Windows XP fansites, like www.xp-erience.org :wink:

But I am sure that the official release is near

I heard that an official version of Window XP Professional (Corporate Edition) with SP1 included, should’ve been released to OEM companies (Compaq etc), but since I don’t have any connections there, I can’t verify it.

If this is true, the final SP1 will become available really really soon.

Searching through the Microsoft Web Sites, I read that the SP will be offically released on the 9th Sep.

Windows XP Service Pack 1 English:
http://premierdownload.microsoft.com/download/whistler/SP/SP1/WXP/en-us/xpsp1_de_x86.exe

Windows XP Service Pack 1 German:
http://premierdownload.microsoft.com/download/whistler/SP/SP1/WXP/de/xpsp1_de_x86.exe

King Dingeling, your links don’t work!

I keep getting page not found!

M$ took the files down becos everyone was leeching them. The SP1 is officially released on 9th September, not that long now.

Sorry they went down.

Try http://kickme.to/trwxp instead

Thanx, King Dingeling but I found the sp at another download site. :slight_smile:

Well, having now installed the sp, I only notice minor differences, probably because I had downloaded all the patches from the windows update service.

The MS website says that the sp will offer better compatibility, so I will have to give some of my old games a try, which just failed to work, even though I used the compatibility tool.

Oh, I did notice that whenever I now download a file, IE6 now throws up a message on screen, explaining about the possibility of viruses. Nice little touch, but I can see this getting annoying after a while…must find a way to disable this warning :bigsmile:

King Dingeling’s links work, but the German language link is duplicated as the English download.

The correct URL for the English download is http://premierdownload.microsoft.com/download/whistler/SP/SP1/WXP/en-us/xpsp1_en_x86.exe :wink:

Read this article if you have a “not so legal” Corp XP version (RHQQ2). :cool:

I just finished downloading sp1 all is well but for the love of me can’t understand why i did it, i thought this had the removal in it from the court decision, if i does i don’t no where the unistall feature are, any help would be appreciated.
tom

tjajm :: The extra removal features are included in SP1. BTW, it’s always been easy to perform these “removals”. They aren’t even proper uninstalls.

Go to the control panel and select add/remove programs and then select customise Windows components. You will then have options to remove Windows Messenger and remove (the icons for) Internet Explorer. It also has an option to remove Media Player (or the icons, I’m not quite sure).

SP1 has a hell of a lot more in it than a couple of uninstall options but it’s mostly fixes so you shouldn’t really notice much difference.

thank you

Some users are reporting trouble with SP1, although most are not. There is one critical update (so critical that MS asked that the problem be kept secret until the release of SP1.) There is a file that can be used by a hacker through either email or a url to delete directories on your HD. You can either download and install the 14 MB SP1 or you can go to Steve Gibson’s page, Gibson research and download a small 30K file that is only the fix for this one major problem. It alters the dangerous file and causes no bad side effects, such as those some users are reporting for SP1. I have elected, at least for now, to not install SP1 and I have just use Gibson fix on my two XP machines. It worked quickly. Once SP1 came out, the various organizations that had promised to not discuss this vulnerability have felt more free to do so. Gibson links to Tech TV screen savers which probably went way to far in identifying the problem. Apparently, now that the “cat is out of the bag” some hackers have already released malicious email and web pages that on unprotected PC’s can delete whole directories, such as Windows. So I think a user is well advised to either apply Gibson’s little 30K fix or the whole SP1 from MS. The link for the Gibson fix is
http://grc.com/xpdite/xpdite.htm
and the name of the program you want to download and run is xpdite.exe.

Originally posted by denro
Some users are reporting trouble with SP1, although most are not. There is one critical update (so critical that MS asked that the problem be kept secret until the release of SP1.) There is a file that can be used by a hacker through either email or a url to delete directories on your HD. You can either download and install the 14 MB SP1 or you can go to Steve Gibson’s page, Gibson research and download a small 30K file that is only the fix for this one major problem. It alters the dangerous file and causes no bad side effects, such as those some users are reporting for SP1. I have elected, at least for now, to not install SP1 and I have just use Gibson fix on my two XP machines. It worked quickly. Once SP1 came out, the various organizations that had promised to not discuss this vulnerability have felt more free to do so. Gibson links to Tech TV screen savers which probably went way to far in identifying the problem. Apparently, now that the “cat is out of the bag” some hackers have already released malicious email and web pages that on unprotected PC’s can delete whole directories, such as Windows. So I think a user is well advised to either apply Gibson’s little 30K fix or the whole SP1 from MS. The link for the Gibson fix is
http://grc.com/xpdite/xpdite.htm
and the name of the program you want to download and run is xpdite.exe.

Speaking of Steve Gibson…visit This for a little background info on our little steve friend.

cough fraud

Well, I don’t know what that link you posted has to do with using the little Gibson research program to protect your files in WinXP is you choose to not install or delay the install of the SP1. I doubt that the link to the report of Screen Savers from Tech TV where they speak about the Microsoft vulnerability is somehow part of Gibson’s marketing. I agree that Gibson may have been seen as close to obnoxious with some ways he advertised himself during his many years of work. But, back in the old days, his utilities saved many a file from hard drives that were going bad. His little utility now that patches the vulnerability is offered free and with no hooks for him to advertise to you later. It would seem hard to argue that Steve is performing anything with this utility other than a public service. Perhaps we could be a little more grateful to him for that. His utility works, is simple, has no bad side effects, and is totally just his gift to the programming community. I will say thanks, rather than throwing accusations his way.

for the dutch guys amon us
http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/SP/SP1/WXP/NL/xpsp1_nl_x86.exe

133 Mb :stuck_out_tongue:

I just installed SP1 on my WinXP Home, after a reboot, the startup seems twice as slow, but I hope this is just the system making the appropriate changes and would only do that once. I installed it to solve this problem with explorer.exe having 100% cpu utilization while its completely idle.