WinXP Desktop/DisplayProperties/Desktop

vbimport

WinXP SP2, HP Desktop. Recently, I wanted to change my desktop wallpaper and I did what I have done a thousand times. On Desktop, right click, Properties, click on Desktop tab and it freezes. I get the message 'Not running and I end program. I can access this in Safe Mode. I tried a system roll back and no help. Any ideas?? regards, g1

Here:

What happens if you bring up a photo in ‘my pictures’, etc…, right-click on it and select ‘set as desktop background’?

[QUOTE=chosenfew777;2049732]What happens if you bring up a photo in ‘my pictures’, etc…, right-click on it and select ‘set as desktop background’?[/QUOTE]

Yes, that works,

When was the last time you scanned your system for Viruses, Spyware etc?

Should be done in safe mode so that there is the bare essentials of running processes.

Where is the rundll32.exe file located on you system?

The rundll32.exe should be located in the folder C:\Windows\System32.

:cool::cool:

[QUOTE=platinumsword;2049876]When was the last time you scanned your system for Viruses, Spyware etc?

Should be done in safe mode so that there is the bare essentials of running processes.

Where is the rundll32.exe file located on you system?

The rundll32.exe should be located in the folder C:\Windows\System32.

:cool::cool:[/QUOTE]

[] I scan every now and then. I’ll do a complete scan now at your suggestion.

[] I will also check the file location (and maybe copy over with the one from my laptop), but as I pointed out, I can use the program in Safe Mode, although the changes I try to make in Safe Mode don’t seem to carry over to a normal reboot…:frowning:

What I am getting at is that you might have a false rundll32.exe file that has hijacked your system.

When you scan your system as normal there maybe scenarios where virus programs or spyware programs will not be able to remove unwanted crap because it’s a running process. Hence why you scan in safe mode, most of the time it will kill the unwanted running process and you will be able to remove it.

[QUOTE=platinumsword;2050328]What I am getting at is that you might have a false rundll32.exe file that has hijacked your system.

When you scan your system as normal there maybe scenarios where virus programs or spyware programs will not be able to remove unwanted crap because it’s a running process. Hence why you scan in safe mode, most of the time it will kill the unwanted running process and you will be able to remove it.

:cool::cool:[/QUOTE]

OK, :doh: thanks, I see. I am running a boot-time virus scan right now and I’ll see what it finds–already found a couple of trojans. BTW, I did a file search on my other computer (laptop) and it found no such file as rundll32.exe .

[QUOTE=platinumsword;2050328]What I am getting at is that you might have a false rundll32.exe file that has hijacked your system.
[/QUOTE]

:smiley: SUCCESS! Platinumsword, the boot-time virus scan found a few trojans and when system booted to Windoze, my Display Properties works!! thank you…regards, gamma1 :iagree:

Your welcome. :slight_smile: