WinXp and potential software conflicts

Hello everyone. I posting here for the first time. I am new to the board and to Win XP, but not to cd burning
It is my understanding the Roxio software cd burning software included with Xp potentially can conflict with my Nero 5.038? When I try to install Nero it gives me a warning that it may conflict with the rudimentary Directcd that is included with Windows.I aborted the install after the warning. I have several questions: Can Nero coexist with Directcd if Direct cd is inactivated with msconfig or Startupcd?Also it is my understanding that the Roxio can be turned off in Admistrative Tools the Control Panel? Do I have to install an aspi driver into Win xp? I got Eact Audio Copy to work by copying the Nero aspi.dll into the EAC folder.
Moreover, I really miss my Nero because of its VCD writing capabilities amoung others. Any help or other informatiom will be appreciated.

Happy New Year!

Thanks.

in run type services.msc and then disable IMAPI Burning CD Com this will disable the built in (roxio) burning capabilities. there is a walkthru on nero’s website about cohabitation that will walk you through it.

I guess I am fresh out of luck with this version of Nero 5.048 because it does not recognize my burner which is an LG HL-DT-ST CDRW GCE-8481B My previous burner was a Plextor 8432 without burn proof. Since Nero includes its own aspi I don’t think that was the problem. I think my Nero is too old and does not support this drive in Win XP. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks for the reply.
P.S. I disabled Roxio as you suggested.

I looked in Nero’s site regarding cohabitation of Nero and Roxio. I could not find the specifics. Would you mind posting the link here? I also recently installed XP on my machine and Roxio 5.3.2 Platinum. Before installing Nero 5.10, I’d like to know how to configure my machine to make both co-exist and work. Thanks.

Well this is what I did:
Turning off the cdrw imapi services in admin. tools disabled the ability of EAC to erase or recognize cdrw disks. Therefore I changed to it back to enabled.
I reinstalled my old Nero 5.0048, paid $19 for upgrade serial for 5.5 from ahead. Now Nero recognizes my LG/ GOLDSTAR drive. It now works perfectly. Roxio is still enabled so installing INCd is out of the question because this would definitely conflict with Direct CD, Roxio’s packet writer. No conflicts or blue screens…bliss.
Good Luck.

Happy New Year!

The rudimentary Roxio software included with XP is not a packet writer, i.e, DirectCD. It may interfere with other burning sw but is easily disabled in Admin Tools, Component Services, Services (Local), IMAPI CD Burning. Nero coexists fine with DirectCD especially if Nero is installed first. If you’ve already installed DirectCD and are now having problems installing Nero, you need to uninstall DirectCD and then clean up your registry of all references to DirectCD since the uninsall doesn’t.

Originally posted by Digiti
It is my understanding the Roxio software cd burning software included with Xp potentially can conflict with my Nero 5.038? When I try to install Nero it gives me a warning that it may conflict with the rudimentary Directcd that is included with Windows.