WinTV PVR 250

vbimport

Moen’s thread gave me the idea to seek help here.

I have the Hauppauge PVR PCI II which Hauppauge told me is a PVR 250.

It started malfunctioning a few months ago. Sometimes when I start WinTV2000 (or WinTV32) it will seem to start okay but the “TV screen” will be black. Other times it will start very slowly and the “TV screen” will not show anything. I can see the wallpaper behind it.

If I uninstall and re-install, it will work fine. It will continue to work fine all day even after a re-boot or standby-resume. But the next day it will have the same problem and I have to uninstall and reinstall.

I have 3 XP installs on this computer. The problem is the same on two of them. The third XP install is virgin. I never installed any apps or updates and it’s never been on the internet. On this XP, my WinTV worked fine for three weeks. The only problem was it would show the black “TV screen” the first time it was started. If I kill and restart it, it works fine.

Then I installed Nero on this XP. After that, WinTV would start very slowly and show nothing but my wallpaper on the “TV screen”. I uninstalled Nero and now it starts fast but shows the black screen. I should mention that I have Nero installed on all my other XPs also.

Hauppauge has newer software on their website. I tried that but it doesn’t fix the problem.

I don’t see any error messages and I don’t see anything in the Event Log.

One possibility could be Nero Media Player’s Codecs are trying to take control of the MPEG stream, but have messed everything up (no surprise there then :slight_smile: ).

Nero have a clean tool on their site to get rid off all the crap it leaves after installation. Give that a go and see if it helps.

Maybe even uninstall the WinTV stuff, use the clean tool and then install the WinTV software again.

You may be on to something about Nero messing with the mpeg stream. I’ll keep the clean tool in mind the next time I have a chance to play with it.

I guess it won’t help with my main XP installs though, because I want Nero. I use that a lot more than I look at stoopid television.

Before I read your post I got my PVR working again on my “virgin” XP. I did some testing to see if I could take some shortcuts. I could not. To get it going I had to uninstall everything and run hcwclear.exe, which is Hauppauge’s clean tool. Then I had to reboot and install everything. Now it works. I’ll check it in a couple of days to see if it is still working.

Maybe there is a magic registry entry that is messing things up.

By the way it was Nero 7 Essentials that I installed on the virgin XP. I got it free with my last burner and I was wondering if BackItUp was included with this free version. It was not. They say curiosity killed the cat. I this case it killed my WinTV. But it also gave me a clue about this problem.

My main XP installs are running the retail Nero 6.6.0.18 or 6.6.1.4.