Winrar questions

Hey all,

I have many .rxx (.r00,r01…etc), that I have put on dvd to save space on my hdd. But I don’t want to delete these files until I am positive that the final iso image that comes out at the end will be exactly identical.

I have done a test in winrar to see if the iso will be extracted without problems. I did 3 tests:
Test #1 - Winrar test with all original files
Test #2 - Winrar test with original .r00 to .r20 replaced with .r00 to .r20 from data dvd i made
Test #3 - With a corrupted .rar file replaced original .rar

Test were done in this order, one after the other. T#1, T#2, T#3, T#1, T#2.

Test #1 took 4mins to complete winrar test. Test #2 took 6mins to complete winrar test. Test #3 started with a error crc for the .rar.

Now my questions are:

1. Can this time difference in any way mean that the iso image, will come out damaged (even by smallest difference)?
  2. Does a winrar test mean 100% that the iso image will come out how it was meant to come out?
  3. Is it possible for winrar to extract a bad iso image (when it’s a perfect iso). or if it’s going to be a bad iso, 100% positive that it will warn you by telling you which file will affect it, so that it can be replaced?
    (by the way, winrar does not take up my ram)

Thankyou very much for your time and help:)

[QUOTE=xbox_earth;1915551]Hey all,

I have many .rxx (.r00,r01…etc), that I have put on dvd to save space on my hdd. But I don’t want to delete these files until I am positive that the final iso image that comes out at the end will be exactly identical.

I have done a test in winrar to see if the iso will be extracted without problems. I did 3 tests:
Test #1 - Winrar test with all original files
Test #2 - Winrar test with original .r00 to .r20 replaced with .r00 to .r20 from data dvd i made
Test #3 - With a corrupted .rar file replaced original .rar

Test were done in this order, one after the other. T#1, T#2, T#3, T#1, T#2.

Test #1 took 4mins to complete winrar test. Test #2 took 6mins to complete winrar test. Test #3 started with a error crc for the .rar.

Now my questions are:

1. Can this time difference in any way mean that the iso image, will come out damaged (even by smallest difference)?
  2. Does a winrar test mean 100% that the iso image will come out how it was meant to come out?
  3. Is it possible for winrar to extract a bad iso image (when it’s a perfect iso). or if it’s going to be a bad iso, 100% positive that it will warn you by telling you which file will affect it, so that it can be replaced?
    (by the way, winrar does not take up my ram)

Thankyou very much for your time and help:)[/QUOTE]

Your winrar archive sounds good to me, Most people that have winrar files broken down into many small files also have whats called PAR files which is just a few files and what these files do is backup any data that gets corupt. Download a free program called QuickPar. If your version is registered then you even get authenticity verification in winrar. Winrar files as you see them are part01.rar, part02.rar etc. Par files have the PAR at end. It’s simple. you run QuickPar over the rar files to create a backup incase anything gets courpt but the backup files is just a few MB not 100’s.

thx for reply, will check that out…any other help?

someone plz help with a few of the questions…