WinRAR or 7zip?

Hello
I would like to know if 7zip is in any way better than Winzip or WinRAR. Can we use 7 zip to decompress files zipped by WinRAR or WinZip?
I have just tried to download 7zip from their site but found a few options for Windows 32-bit, like .exe, .zip (7-Zip Command Line Version), and .7z(7z Library, SFXs for installers, Plugin for FAR Manager). Which one should I download? Thanks for your help.

Most users would want to download the .exe version, which is the one that’s easier to install.

7zip is free unlike WinRAR and WinZip.

For most purposes, 7zip is just as good as the others, but some people might like the additional features in one of the commercial programs enough to pay for them. Some may consider the 7zip user interface less intuitive than the others - Your mileage may vary.

You can use 7zip to decompress archives made with WinRAR and WinZip - I usually just use the right-click menu in Windows Explorer after having installed 7zip.

to be perfectly honest, i had winRAR for over a year and if you open the program then it asks you to pay for the full version, if you extract files using winRAR from the right-click menu it wont do any such thing even years after

having said, i prefer 7-zip, its much much faster and way more efficient.

Hi,[QUOTE=Ayiramala;2271531]Hello
I would like to know if 7zip is in any way better than Winzip or WinRAR.[/quote]That’s a matter of taste and money. 7-zip is free, Winzip and Winrar are not. You have to pay for them after the trial period expired.

Can we use 7 zip to decompress files zipped by WinRAR or WinZip?

I have just tried to download 7zip from their site but found a few options for Windows 32-bit, like .exe, .zip (7-Zip Command Line Version), and .7z(7z Library, SFXs for installers, Plugin for FAR Manager). Which one should I download? Thanks for your help.
This depends on your personal needs. The most common versions for normal users are directly located on the front page :wink:

Michael

Thanks, everyone!

I have been using winrar (rarely) for a long time and have started to use 7zip only a week ago because i got fed up with the “please pay” message. I am completely satisfied with 7zip, it even squeezes files more than winrar when asked to.

Thanks. I’ll certainly try 7zip.