WinMetro Beta released: Metro UI for Windows XP, Vista and 7

vbimport

I just posted the article WinMetro Beta released: Metro UI for Windows XP, Vista and 7.

Get the Windows 8 Metro Interface on your Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7 system. How? Read more…

Click to read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/winmetro-beta-released-metro-ui-for-windows-xp-vista-and-7-64461/](http://www.myce.com/news/winmetro-beta-released-metro-ui-for-windows-xp-vista-and-7-64461/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Interesting turnaround. Surprised Microsoft didn’t think of this. Anyone know if it will work with a touchscreen?

LMFAO now that is what I call Cross compatibility!!! Classic GUI in Windows 8 and Windows 8 Metro UI on XP LOL no Mac can do that I guarantee!!!

This should be as useful as a bicycle for fish! :iagree: :stuck_out_tongue:

So many people have been working so hard developing programs/patches to spare us the horrors of the dreaded Metro/Modern interface in Windows 8, so it seems really strange that someone would develop a program/patch that actually puts that very same Metro/Modern interface into a version of Windows that doesn’t have it. I just have to ask; Why?

[QUOTE=BradWright;2660784]So many people have been working so hard developing programs/patches to spare us the horrors of the dreaded Metro/Modern interface in Windows 8, so it seems really strange that someone would develop a program/patch that actually puts that very same Metro/Modern interface into a version of Windows that doesn’t have it. I just have to ask; Why?[/QUOTE]
Not the first time:

[QUOTE=RTV71;2660785]Not the first time:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calmira[/QUOTE]Calmira added a Windows 95 Start menu to Windows 3.1x, which obviously didn’t have a start menu. I’m not aware of everyone ever complaining about the Windows 95 Start menu, so it probably made sense to add it to Windows 3.1x. Everyone supposedly hates the Metro/Modern interface, so it doesn’t make any sense to add it to earlier versions of Windows.

[QUOTE=BradWright;2660786]Calmira added a Windows 95 Start menu to Windows 3.1x, which obviously didn’t have a start menu. I’m not aware of everyone ever complaining about the Windows 95 Start menu, so it probably made sense to add it to Windows 3.1x. Everyone supposedly hates the Metro/Modern interface, so it doesn’t make any sense to add it to earlier versions of Windows.[/QUOTE]WfW was 16-bit and Win95 was 32-bit. A substantial technical and performance difference.

[QUOTE=RTV71;2660787]WfW was 16-bit and Win95 was 32-bit. A substantial technical and performance difference.[/QUOTE]That’s not the point. The point is that this guy is making it possible to add a feature of Windows 8 that apparently everyone hates, into earlier versions of Windows that don’t already have that hated feature, which to me doesn’t make any sense. Calmira made Windows 3.1x look like Windows 95, which wasn’t hated by everyone, so it made sense to do so.

[QUOTE=BradWright;2660788]That’s not the point. The point is that this guy is making it possible to add a feature of Windows 8 that apparently everyone hates, into earlier versions of Windows that don’t already have that hated feature, which to me doesn’t make any sense. Calmira made Windows 3.1x look like Windows 95, which wasn’t hated by everyone, so it made sense to do so.[/QUOTE]Not everyone hates Win8. The dozen or so Surface tablet pre-orders sold out. :wink:

I know you guys love the start menu. In fact, someone loved it so much they even went through the effort of porting it to Windows 3.x! You gotta love that Start Menu.

Okay you love it, I love it, let’s get rid of it and welcome something that’s more cluttered, harder to organize, and uglier. Make perfect sense to me.

Okay, perhaps that was a little unfair. I’ll bet in Windows 6.3 (which will be better known as Windows 9), people will randomly start to love Metro. Then, this program will become fairly popular with XP/Vista/7 folks. But not with me.