WinDVD patch to block AACS hack ineffective

vbimport

I just posted the article WinDVD patch to block AACS hack ineffective.

Despite the recent revoking of WinDVD 8’s key where consumers have to update WinDVD and their HD DVD / Blu-ray drive’s firmware to play upcoming titles, hackers have managed to break the AACS Volume…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13211-WinDVD-patch-to-block-AACS-hack-ineffective.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13211-WinDVD-patch-to-block-AACS-hack-ineffective.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

They’ll just never learn. When someone buys something then you have no right to tell them how to use it. DRM leads nowhere. :slight_smile:

Yes it was funny to read that if you don’t update using the patch that your player will be rendered? :r

“As a result, this also prevents any future revocations from taking effect unless the AACS LA revoke the actual Toshiba Xbox 360 HD DVD player!” One would assume that Microsoft can update the Xbox 360 HD DVD Player over Xbox live or via a downloadable/mailed-out update disc.

How do they know if future HD titles will work or not since it isn’t the future yet? The claim in the article “…rendering useless any future revocations” is just as bold as saying that AACS could never be cracked to begin with. It is still a cat n mouse game I think. Also, how does cracking the Volume ID mean that the MKB is also compromised? Maybe I should read the article a few more times… I must admit that all this is quite entertaining though :X

How do they know if future HD titles will work or not since it isn’t the future yet? The claim in the article “…rendering useless any future revocations” is just as bold as saying that AACS could never be cracked to begin with. It is still a cat n mouse game I think. Also, how does cracking the Volume ID mean that the MKB is also compromised? Maybe I should read the article a few more times… I must admit that all this is quite entertaining though :X