Windoze XP Update March 14,2007

vbimport

Did anyone get the new updates yet? I noticed there was some DRM crap critical update they wanted me to install :eek: But i said no way :bigsmile:

Anyone notice it or know WTH it’s for?

I got updates yesterday. But I think it was for IE7, not DRM, I have the MS updates set to auto install so I rarely look at them. I should probably be more careful.:o

Here’s what it says:

Update for Windows Media Format 11 SDK for Windows XP (KB929399)
Date last published: 3/13/2007
Download size: 622 KB
Install this update to address the DRM subscriptions service’s inability to extract metering data from certain portable devices while attempting to synchronize metering data on a client computer running the Microsoft Windows Media Format 11 SDK. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.
System Requirements
Recommended CPU: Not specified.
Recommended memory: Not specified.
Recommended hard disk space: Not specified.
How to Uninstall
This software update can be removed via Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.
Get help and support
http://support.microsoft.com
More information

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929399

I always look at them to see what kind of crap they want me to install :iagree:

I always have my OS set to notify me if updates are available (no auto downloading and installing). The picture shows my updates for today.

Did you install the 1st one? That’s the one i’m talking about here.

I’m still researching the update. I need to know more about it before I decide.

That’s why i started this thread :bigsmile: I want to know what it’s for exactly. I use MP3 players and i don’t want DRM crap on them :rolleyes:

I don’t think even MS would forcibly apply DRM schemes to your own MP3 files… from the sound of it, this update has more to do with how it interacts with files that have DRM already.

In any case, this is the reason why I rip all my audio files myself off CDs… I hate DRM, and most online stores don’t provide very high quality files anyway, even for lossy stuff. Windows can download all the DRM-related updates it wants to my computer, I have no DRM-protected files for it to screw around with.