Windows XP, worth it?

A family member of mine recently got a new dell computer with xp home edition loaded on it. On my computer I have win ME.

Now i know that they both pretty much suck, but my questions are:

1. What are the requirements to run XP on a computer
    and
  2. Is XP better than ME or not.

I’ve heard that XP can’t run some programs (which by the way a installed gta2 and it doesn’t work), and i know from personal XPerience that ME crashes all the time. I s the upgrade worth the time and benefits or not?

Microsoft’s Web site recommends a minimum 300MHz Pentium II processor and 128MB of RAM to run the Windows XP beta, up from a 133MHz processor and 64MB of memory for Windows 2000.

I would recommend 256 MB or ram.

Yes XP is better than ME. For that matter so is Win98 SE.

I havent had any problems with games under XP but I never tried GTA 2.

XP crashes from time to time, but compared to the hell I put up with from 98 (and I’m guessing ME), it’s rock solid.

Use should also think of Win 2k…but: everything is better than ME!

xp pro is running, albeit slowly, on a 233 w/64 mb of pc66 ram. hell, i’d run win3.1 before ME

kwkard

[quote]

I s the upgrade worth the time and benefits or not?

After re-reading your post, I thought it might be a good idea to stress that an upgrade over ME is a bad idea. Although Windows “upgrades” have become “smoother” over time, a fresh install of XP onto a clean HD will surely give you better results. If you only have the “upgrade” cd no problem. The upgrade can be installed onto a blank harddrive. It will simply ask you to insert your ME CD to make sure you qualify for the upgrade.

I’ve got now dualboot:
winxp & win2k

See here my system

Win2k is a little bit faster I think
I haven’t got a error from XP yet. I’m running it for 3 weeks.
I can do everything at the same time.
2 times burning cdr’s. playing a movie, …
no problem at all

WinXP looks nicer then Win2k

I couldn’t chose between WinxP or Win2 so …

The rest of the windows SUCKS bigg time !

Originally posted by fordcapri
[B]I’ve got now dualboot:
winxp & win2k

See here my system

Win2k is a little bit faster I think
I haven’t got a error from XP yet. I’m running it for 3 weeks.
I can do everything at the same time.
2 times burning cdr’s. playing a movie, …
no problem at all

WinXP looks nicer then Win2k

I couldn’t chose between WinxP or Win2 so …

The rest of the windows SUCKS bigg time ! [/B]

You like Plextor too?

Want my nick aswell? :eek:

:smiley: LOL

Anything is better then Win ME. I run XP as it is now and haven’t had anytrouble form XP itself but more from many programs saying that they will work with XP.

[BAWA] If you want speed and stability, go with Linux… If you want to help satan, go with windows [@ Upp3rDog if he’s reading this: Linux rocks for games! I just finished playing that little rocket ship game that seems top come with every Linux distro for almost an hour, and it’s awesome!]. seriously, Linux is better than windows in just about everything I can think of other than easy-to-use-ability[/BAWA]

Seriously, though (by seriously, I mean actually OT for once :slight_smile: ), I would say it’s worth the upgrade, even if all you got was NTFS (although, I must point out, an XFS system is much faster and availiable for free…)

as usual, the moderator knows best. if you gotta stay bill gates faithful, use an XP machine, otherwise, take a walk on the wild side and write your own GUI :wink:

can you dual boot windows xp and linux eg linus on one hdd and xp on another as i would like the benifits of both systems

thanx scousemouse

scousemouse>>>> Yeah you can do it that way. I think that you would have to install XP then Linux. Not sure if you can do it the other way around or not.

backwards, XP doesnt like ANYTHING to be installed after it is.

Originally posted by ckin2001
as usual, the moderator knows best.

I’m blushing. :slight_smile:

Xp has bugs, but i like it the best over all the other os…

Originally posted by SliverX
Xp has bugs, but i like it the best over all the other os…

Apparently, you’ve never used Linux… Just give it a shot! IU promise you’ll like it!

I used to use Linux. SuSe, RedHat, and even FreeBSD 3.x, (not linux) back in the day. I noticed that X would run slow compared to Windows no matter what dist I tried. Same with Quake 3. Getting full functionality from a SB live or Voodoo 3 TV was practically impossible. I am getting the itch to try it again. Is there a software app that lets you burn VCD’s on linux? Could the ATi All in Wonder card get full functionality?

where is linux avalible from in the uk and has any one got instructions on how to dual boot with win xp

thanx in advance scousemouse

scousemouse

Check this page out

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/Linux+NT-Loader.html