Windows XP - Won't remember my folder view setting

Can anyone tell me why win xp refuses to remember how I like my view settings for many of my folders. It used to be ok but recently its keeps forgetting!

Is there any default button that you need to hit so it remembers?

Set a folder up how you like it then,

Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> Apply To All Folders.

If that doesn’t do it htne somthing is wrong else where. Maybe overriding your choice.

There is a limit to the number it remembers

Originally posted by pow216
There is a limit to the number it remembers
how many and can you decide which ones?
Originally posted by Womble
Set a folder up how you like it then,
Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> Apply To All Folders.

sorry, i should have said, i dont want the same view setting for each folder

By default, Windows XP remembers the last 400 folder settings. After 400, it’s supposed to discard the oldest settings, so that it always remembers the most recent 400. In some cases, however, it just stops remembering new settings when the number of settings hits 400. Note that the steps that follow will clear all your old folder settings so Windows XP can remember more, and this method also raises the limit higher than 400.

1. Launch REGEDIT from the Start menu’s Run dialog.
  2. Navigate to the Registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell. If this key is not present, skip to step 8.
  3. If a subkey named BagMRU is present, delete the entire subkey.
  4. If a subkey named Bags is present, delete the entire subkey.
  5. Look for a value named BagMRU Size (with a space between BagMRU and Size).
  6. If this value is not present, select New | DWORD Value from the Edit menu and name the new value BagMRU Size.
  7. Double-click on the BagMRU Size value, choose Decimal, and enter the desired number of folder settings for Win XP to remember (for example, 1,000).
  8. Navigate to the Registry key HKEY_ CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ Windows\ShellNoRoam. If present, repeat steps 3 through 7.

That should cure Windows XP’s faulty memory. The OS will “forget” all existing folder settings, but from this point onward, it should remember them correctly.

thanks man. I hope it works :wink:
[NB- a subkey is just like an entire folder, >?]

It will work, I did it too and set it to a much larger value, supposed to be 800 according to the hex value the tweak site provided, but it slows down system performance, to the point where I noticed it, and my rig is still kinda new, check my specs in my sig.

i have a similarish problem, in that i cant get the normal menu for organizing files to come up in multimedia folders. i want to arrange by date changed(kazaa folder), but thats not an option, due to the mp3s being in the folder.

The easiest way to set your folders to remember 8000 which is the max is to go to this site http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm click on #2 which says Increase Folder View Size Limit to 8000 and when the new page opens click on File/SavePageAs and save it to your desktop then doubleclick it and chose yes when it asks to save it to your registry.

Link seems to be out of order.

[QUOTE=cynthia_old;2115316]Link seems to be out of order.[/QUOTE]

Sorry cyn the link works fine for me.

Funny. The link works in IE7 but not in Firefox.

Works fine for my using FF 3.01

Using same Firefox version, but it tells me that the type of compression used in the page is not valid or unsupported.

Kodningsfel av innehållet

Sidan kan inte visas eftersom den använder en typ av komprimering som är ogiltig eller som inte stöds.

That’s odd. Here’s the reg file it leads you to. Just copy and paste it to notepad and save as (name of your choice).reg I’m sure you know how to do that.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell]
“BagMRU Size”=dword:00001f40

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam]
“BagMRU Size”=dword:00001f40

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
“NoSaveSettings”=dword:00000000

Thanks Bob! :flower:

on a similar vein, i have an external drive full of music. all the music folders are set up exactly the way i want to view them (which is a different view for each folder then subfolder, and requires a helluvalot of repeated clicking, to the tune of several hours, slowly going blind…)

anyhow. it’s time to reinstall xp again (been a good year since i last did a fresh install and things are starting to get rocky … so it goes). i was just curious, as i’ve still yet to find some program that would set different folder and sub-folders en masse, if anyone knew what registry settings i might be able to save so that when my fresh install of xp is back up and running, and my external drive with all the music on it is recognised as the correct letter again, all the folders would still maintain their current view settings… ?

got any ideas?