Windows XP virus causes chaos in Melbourne hospital – also PCs with patient records infected

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Windows XP virus causes chaos in Melbourne hospital – also PCs with patient records infected[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2012/09/windows-XP-logo.jpg[/newsimage]

While Microsoft ended support for Windows XP about two years ago, some organisations continue to use the outdated operating system. Also the Royal Melbourne hospital uses the fifteen year old OS which allowed a virus to cause chaos.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/windows-xp-virus-causes-chaos-in-melbourne-hospital-also-pcs-with-patient-records-infected-78405/](http://www.myce.com/news/windows-xp-virus-causes-chaos-in-melbourne-hospital-also-pcs-with-patient-records-infected-78405/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Who on earth is in charge of the IT department??? Running on non-supported XP installs since two years??? IN A HOSPITAL!?!?!

I am not even sorry to use capital letters as someone, somewhere in the system has failed badly.
I must say, I thought the days of cowboys lacking overview in larger IT departments were over. Since the mid '90s it became a prerequisite that we were competent enough to even have an overview. A requirement that obviously did not reach this Melbourne hospital.

Outdated installs with sensitive patient journals… I actually feel for the entire IT department in this case… I feel sorry for you.

Here’s hoping for the future :flower:

While their IT department may be clueless, it could simply be the result of upper management not supporting them financially. An outdated WinXP base is a strong indicator of that. The IT staff probably use much better at home.

[QUOTE=RTV71;2766893]While their IT department may be clueless, it could simply be the result of upper management not supporting them financially. An outdated WinXP base is a strong indicator of that. The IT staff probably use much better at home.[/QUOTE]

I hope you are right, this is a serious issue no matter the reason…

“While their IT department may be clueless, it could simply be the result of upper management not supporting them financially. An outdated WinXP base is a strong indicator of that. The IT staff probably use much better at home.”

Might not be the case at all. Have a couple of machines still running XP just to access the Parts Department of one of our vendors (one of the largest Electronics Corporations in the World). Seems they can’t be bothered with developing security plug ins that work with anything other than Explorer 8 (which won’t install on a Win 7 machine).
My 2 XP machines are cleaner than Mother Theresa thanks to Antivirus, Antimalware, firewall and much due dilligence on my part.
In truth, I still prefer XP over Win 7.

Better question is how did the system get infected in the first place and why was a member of hospital staff accessing questionable web pages that infected the system?

[QUOTE=olddancer;2766904]“While their IT department may be clueless, it could simply be the result of upper management not supporting them financially. An outdated WinXP base is a strong indicator of that. The IT staff probably use much better at home.”[/QUOTE]This happens more often then one wants to admit.

[QUOTE=olddancer;2766904]Might not be the case at all. Have a couple of machines still running XP just to access the Parts Department of one of our vendors (one of the largest Electronics Corporations in the World). Seems they can’t be bothered with developing security plug ins that work with anything other than Explorer 8 (which won’t install on a Win 7 machine).[/QUOTE]Yeah and Crackers couldn’t be more happy to data mine and sell that datat to the highest bidders in the black market sites.

[QUOTE=olddancer;2766904]My 2 XP machines are cleaner than Mother Theresa thanks to Antivirus, Antimalware, firewall and much due dilligence on my part.
In truth, I still prefer XP over Win 7.[/QUOTE]That assume XP is still a viable options of which it no longer is.

[QUOTE=olddancer;2766904]Better question is how did the system get infected in the first place and why was a member of hospital staff accessing questionable web pages that infected the system?[/QUOTE]Called P0rn surfing that is why. Stupidity gets stupidity results.

I totally agree with Olddancer on this…I don’t update my Win 7 but I got Antvirus/Antimalware on my machine + Firewall in Router. No Problems.

I updated my IE8 to IE11 the other day. Sorry I did now. What a load of CRAPPOLA!!! Took ages to get rid of a Microsoft Research tab for gods sake.
Now DELETED for Ever. Never use IE anyway.

One can stay safe with older OS provided one is protected…

Lack of support by software vendors … we’ve all been there, with the switchover to 64bit os’s (thanks Creative), except rather than a $50 software alternative, Â they have a $50 million development cost for custom software.Â

Think that is bad I went to a doctors office and left once I found out they were using windows 2000 ME…about six month ago…:eek::eek:

[QUOTE=ILLP;2766919]Think that is bad I went to a doctors office and left once I found out they were using windows 2000 ME…about six month ago…:eek::eek:[/QUOTE]
I can’t say I blame you, I would be late for the door in seconds myself…

[QUOTE=debro;2766915]Lack of support by software vendors … we’ve all been there, with the switchover to 64bit os’s (thanks Creative), except rather than a $50 software alternative, they have a $50 million development cost for custom software. [/QUOTE]

Scary is it not? Assuming you are right, they have a $50 million development cost for the software they already have, presumably with no maintenance plan / life-cycle management and obviously, no end-of-life date set even though Microsoft blew their horn at 120db years before support ended…

The fact that it is a hospital that handles sensitive data is what makes this go from a laughing to a serious matter. A good AV solution is in this respect false safety as it is for the most signature based.
That means it is just like any viral infection is for us, first the virus is discovered, then we develop medication/vaccine and in an environment with sensitive data, that is a point of great importance.

What seems obvious to me (regardless of funding) is that someone must have failed somewhere when it comes to configuring a tight group policy security-wise to work around lack of funding and minimize impact. Probably even added the domain user to the local computer administrators group, to save themselves the extra overhead in day-to-day work. This gives the user the install privilege and without UAC, a free path for the infection to have a unrestricted party.

Wonder if these PCs had up to date virus and malware checkers on them or did the management think it was too expensive to provide. ??

The French run an whole airport on XP and find it very safe while I know at least 1 dentist still on XP.

There is no point questioning XP as such

Who is running their IT department would be what I would want to know.

Move up to Windows 10.

Think this was cool? XP is not the oldest out there!

This is much coooler: