Windows Xp views my dvdrw drive as a cd drive

I have windows xp and a NU DVDRW DDW-082 drive. Windows XP views my drive as a dvdrw but the moment I insert a blank dvd, it says “cd drive” and it won’t let me burn anything.

What is wrong?

Mine calls it a cd-drive when i insert some blank discs into it, but it doesn’t affect the ability to write to discs.
What stops you from writing to it exactly?

For instance, when I go to nero and try to make a data disc so I can back up some files, it tells me to put in a cdr/cdrw. The thing is, I can burn cdr just fine but it won’t let me take advantage of the space on a dvdr. The bar at the bottom is set for a cd and doesn’t change even when a dvdr is in the drive.

I tried to write files to the cd via windows explorer with no luck. It still asks me to put in a freakin’ cd. Sigh…

Windows does not have built-in DVD writing support.

In Nero, you need to choose DVD compilation first :wink:

Just what i was gonna say :slight_smile:
You just have it on the CD option .

I changed it to the dvd setting, and the bar went up to 4500mb but the problem still remains. Here is the error I keep getting:

what compilation option did you choose?

it obviously recognizes it as a dvdr drive in nero because otherwise it wouldn’t have been able to tell you that it was a dvd-r inside it (because a normal cdr cannot read the media information of a dvd). Also i dont think nero will give the dvd option tab unless you have the image recorder selected or you have a dvd burner in the system

Try a firmware update, try to update nero, drive an ide controller software update etc

I did switch the compilation to DVD and it still does thing same thing. I’ve updated firmware and Nero and it still does the same thing. The weird thing is, it can still PLAY dvd movies and read dvd data discs, it just acts weird whenever I put a blank dvd inside and then it won’t let me burn.

I’ve even tried uninstalling the ide controllers and let windows reinstall it automatically but the problem still shows up.

Everything I’ve tried has only led to a big brick wall :confused:

Sounds daft but does the drive support the discs? for example if the drive only burns DVD-R and you have DVD+R discs then that creates a problem. I haven’t looked at the drive specs cos my coffee is ready and I need to jet quick :stuck_out_tongue:

Can you burn with anything else? such as DVDDecrypter?

Can you give me a list of some programs that will let me make a data disc? I don’t want to burn an iso, just a bunch of files that I have. I wanna test them out to see what happens.

What version of Nero are you using? Also, the only other burner program (I can think of) that does allow for data compilations is easy cd creator. I mean someone else may know of some more. But as someone said, try testing another burner program to see if it will let you burn a dvd. But definitely check your version of nero.

An 082 supports both + and - formats, so i don’t think thats an issue.
There must be a reason why Nero thinks you want to create a CD compilation, when you are trying to create a DVD compilation.
Perhaps you can specify the exact process, step-by-step, right up until you are trying to write the disc?

:eek: :eek: :o :o :o

I feel, like an idiot. In Nero Express 2, in the upper right hand corner, there are these 2 tiny little buttons that let you choose from DVD and CD. I didn’t notice it. Sorry about that.

Anyway, Thanks for the help!

lol

Is 440,000 member on this site completely Daffed in the head or just in general like most wannabe techies and techies alike you all just don’t know how to read and troubleshoot something in writing. even if the PC is sitting in front of you techies it takes you 30 hours to conclude that it was something so simple but evaded your level of intellect. Look I have scoured every wedsite and the prognosis is the same and each and everyone of them frakking useless, then to make matters worse when all else fails lets blame it on outdated drivers and lets not forget Nero as a final answer to the problem.

So I posse this simple question to someone with an Iq higher than 90 but preferably 140.

I was tired of the HP windows version I was running on my older system and since I built my 2nd system and it is new, I bought a Windows XP version disk with SP3 home edition and installed on both systems from that point on the DVD RWin the HP and the DVD RAM Drive in the New PC now only reads CD and DVD Disks but will only recognize it for burning disk as a CD Burner only. Now if it hadn’t happened on 2 PC I would Say that it is the Drive but two pC and Two complete DVD Drives is Faulty hardware.

It doesn’t matter what application I burn with since what I had worked before and should still work now and they have been updated so spare me the lame recommendations. I’m not the only one in my Demographical area experiancing this Phenomenon. So Does anyone have a working solution or has Microsoft implemented something that disables the DVD burning so no one can Download and Burn DVD disks of Applications and or Video Files?

Before giving an answer please refer to the IQ reference before posting a reply. Also NO WANNABE TECHIE REPLIES PLEASE!

Dude, why ressurrecting a 5 YEAR OLD thread???

[QUOTE=KodiakBear;2279461]Is 440,000 member on this site completely Daffed in the head or just in general like most wannabe techies and techies alike you all just don’t know how to read and troubleshoot something in writing… [I][B]blah blah blah[/B][/I]

So I posse this simple question to someone with an Iq higher than 90 but preferably 140. [I][B]Followed by wall of text…[/B][/I]

[/QUOTE]

Was there an actual question anywhere?