Windows XP SP2

Ok, even tho SP2 is in beta form and only supposed to be out to testers only, of which I am one, we all know that when a link is put in the open alot of people like to download and give it a shot, here is my question…has anyone seen an increase in the back-ups they are making fail? I am just looking for a pattern. Yea I know a good conspiracy theory…but? it’s just a question, yes or no,
The reason for the question, it would appear that alot of the earlier back-ups not all of them have appeared to stop working, back-ups that I have made last year and thru-out the year just quit after installing SP2, copies made with Clonecd and twinpeaks, Alcohol, BlindWrite, they were working and now don’t. Microsoft has added alot of new features to the SP, like an improved firewall, pop-up blocker, has Microsoft implemented a way to read atip with-in XP itself, or can this only be done thru the cd-writer?

the cdwriter has commands that can report atip info back. feurio can display it out, so xp could too, if it were programmed to.

hard to tell, as im not familiar with windows cdrom programming.

wat new in XP SP2 compared to SP1? and is it better?

sorry to drag this thread out but:

kamikazee (or anyone), do you know when the final SP2 is likely to be availble to any old peron (ie me).

Heard somwhere that ms is aiming for a summer release. And as it seems like they already have implemented the new features in the beta maybe they will make it.

Originally posted by Donald_Duck
Heard somwhere that ms is aiming for a summer release. And as it seems like they already have implemented the new features in the beta maybe they will make it.

im been told that some of the softwares won’t work anymore once u’ve upgraded to SP2. y is this?

Don’t know but I’d guess some things might brake from changes in apis to enhance security.
Saw on neowin that Ms has set a release date on June 23.

You people don’t want to know what kind of documentation Microsoft included with Service Pack 2.

This has got to be one of the biggest changes ever made to the Windows XP environment (except for the 64 bit distributions , they are even worse).

I’ve already got the Technical Evaluation of SP2 and we’re currently investigating Windows XP64bit edition for AMD on a IBM Dual Opteron system. It’s FAST , but it’s horrible to configure.

i am using xp-sp2 rc1, and have no problems at all with it.
But i read somewhere that some programs can be broken or crippled afther upgrading with sp2.

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere

This has got to be one of the biggest changes ever made to the Windows XP environment (except for the 64 bit distributions , they are even worse).

are they phasing out the legacy code? or are you not able to discuss? i can still watch pr0n, right? :smiley:

If you want Windows XP SP2 Technical Preview you can find it here.

Originally posted by ckin2001
are they phasing out the legacy code? or are you not able to discuss? i can still watch pr0n, right? :smiley:

Yeah , your pr0n is safe :slight_smile:

They changes a lot of security settings inside it. For one thing , they automatically start the built in firewall (enhanced as well , many more ports).

Some things just have to be " set open " instead of " set shut ". Which isn’t good for automated installation scripts.

but on the other side…the pop-up blocker is a nice feature
and xp-sp2-rc1 is rock stable…at least for me