Windows XP Professional Install

I have just purchased a new 40gig Hard Drive.

When I format it using Win xp Cd (NTFS) I get an NTLDR Error, this stops me from tansfering any files from the cd to h/d

I have installed XP on many hard drives and never had this error.

Also sometimes when I format the h/d can’t finds certain files from the cd and gives up.

I have tried 4 h/ds with this PC Chips Board and still get the same error also have tried it with K7s5a mobo I get the same error, I have a genuine XP Disk

I’ve experienced exact the same problems before. These all turned out to be hardware problems (bad CPU, bad memory, bad HDD, bad PSU).

As you’ve only exchanged your HDD it’s most likely the problem lies there.

What you can check:

• are all cables ok?
  • does the drive work well in another system?
  • is the drive perhaps not supported by your bios (if so, flash the bios)?
  • does the drive consume more power than your powersupply can deliver?
  • are there any known conflicts between this harddrive and other IDE devices in your system?

Good luck, keep us updated…

Well i have seen it sometimes. In same system with the same settings sometimes there are errors and sometimes not. I have noticed that if my dvd spins down during the installation (when you configure the install) it can be errors of files missing and not been able to find in the cd.

When i saw that (2-3 times) i did the installation again and there was no problem :confused: .

Had the same problem a few months back (the error at least) turned out to be a bad stick of RAM.

Originally posted by baracus
Had the same problem a few months back (the error at least) turned out to be a bad stick of RAM.
dito