Windows XP Pro

vbimport

I just had a new hard disk installed because the old one seems to be going bad. I copied everything including the OS to the new disk but cannot seem to rename the new disk as drive C and the old one with some other letter. What would I use in Windows (or in DOS but I don’t find a subdirectory for DOS on my computer) to rename the C drive and name the new drive as C so I can boot up to it?

When you want to “migrate” an operative system from a disc to a different one, you cannot simply copy/paste all files, but you need a dedicated software that will move files on the new disc. Two good examples (too bad not free) are Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image (or also Acronis Migrate).

These softwares will clone the partition and will create a perfect copy of the old disc on a new HDD.

If you visit the HDD manufacturers site you will be able to get free software for migrating all the files from the old hard drive to the new.
For Maxtor’s for instance there is maxforce 4 (they may have updated it ) which I used the last time I upgraded my HDD.

Neither Windows nor DOS will allow renaming a boot drive. The new drive should come with setup CD and instructions for setting up the new drive including migrating OS plus all files and folders, but you should be able to get it from manufacturers site as suggested in post #3 if you don’t have setup CD. Note the new drive will now need to be cleared including removing all drives and partitions before the manufacturer’s utility program will complete migration and setup desired.

I already copied all files including OS to the new drive with CopyWipe for DOS. What I want to do now is rename the new drive as C drive and rename my existing C drive with another letter like M. Can I do that in DOS, what command do I use, and where do I find DOS now that I have Windows XP Pro?

not possible , drive letters are defintly not [B]hardcoded[/B] , their determined automatically by a number of factors , a: and b: are reserved for floppy drives , after the floppys the hard drives/partitions get drive letters & after that the optical drives & virtual cdroms if any such software is used & after that external storage devices such as usb sticks/ipods/external hds , when it comes to hard drives it depends which one comes first according to connections on the sata/ide , which sata drive is connected to what # sata port… , and when it comes to ide it have 2 channels usally (channels means slots,every ide channel supports upto 2 devices , some modern mobos come only with 1 slot) and after the ide channels its the drives (hds/opticals that is) master/slave jumper settings of course master comes first and slave after in the drive order i mean, (btw sata hds/opticals dont have a master/slave setting since only 1 device is allowed per sata port) another factor is a bios setting of what type of controller is defined to be used first (sata/ide) not all bios have such a setting some just automatically have sata first and ide after , so you see drive letters cannot be changed at all their automatically determined according to several factors , even if you change a drive letter from device manager the change is actually virtual (saved in windows registry only and nothing beyond,if youll reinstall windows it would get back to same drive letter it was before)

Thanks for the help. I think I figured out that I have to unplug the old C drive and reboot so that the new drive will be recognized as the new C. Then at a later time I could reconnect the old drive at which time the computer would assign it the next letter available.

The new drive should be set as the master and the old one set as slave and the system will work as you want.

The new drive should remain drive “X” or what ever letter was assigned the drive, and neither Windows nor DOS will allow renaming the boot drive as I stated. The easiest way to achieve what you seek is to boot to the old drive, completely remove all drives and partitions on new drive while it’s connected as slave drive, and use the manufacturer’s transfer utility to then transfer old drive contents to new drive as instructed by the utility instructions. What’s proposed in post #7 will fail for the reason twice given now; i.e. renaming boot drive is not permitted.

If you use a FAT 32 file system, the boot drive will automatically be designated as drive C. But if you use NTFS file system, the drive will be the drive letter that it was when originally loaded and will not change just because you change the position from to master to slave or vice versa.