Windows XP not recognising new DVD Burner properly

vbimport

Hi, I am new to these forums and have a question.

I have recently purchased an LG GWA 4161B DVD Burner, I have installed this drive, and Windows XP has automatically installed drivers for it. I already have an Iomega DVD Burner on my computer, this drive uses the same driver.
The new drive works perfectly with any CD disc in it, however when I put a DVD disc in it, movie or data, Windows (My computer) says insert disc in drive D:, but If I run DVD Decrypter, It recognises that there is a DVD in the drive and will decrypt it, and If I run Nero, it also recogninses the disc and will let me copy it.

I don’t know why Windows (My Computer) will not recognise DVD discs in this drive, and obviously due to this problem, I cannot use and DVD Data discs in this drive, because Windows does not recognise them.

Thanks for any help.

Glenn

Hi and be welcome to the boards!

There can be several reasons for this behaviour. In most cases, this can easily be resolved by uninstalling faulty IDE drivers or installing the right IDE drivers. If that does not help, letting Windows redetect the IDE channel might help as well.

So what to do?
If you have a mainboard based on an Intel or NVidia chipset and you have their IDE drivers installed, uninstall them.
For other chipsets (VIA, ALi/ULi, ATi etc), you need to install the IDE drivers.

If that’s not the case, you might want to delete the IDE channel this drive is connected to from the Windows device manager. Then reboot and Windows will redetect the IDE channel.

In case you need additional help (for any reason), feel free to ask!