Windows xp media center cd - how to create installation / repair disk

How does one create a Windows Media Center CD if one’s computer did not come with a Windows Media Center CD?

I know how to create one for Windows XP Pro & Windows XP Home.
http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/wxp/

Thanks for your attention to my question.

d_L

One purchases the operating system.

heh…

Yep, just go down and buy a copy and you are good to go. :slight_smile:

Let me re-phrase my question.

How does one create a repair / re-installation CD for one’s PC if one’s PC came with Windows XP Media Center 2005, but a re-installation CD was not provided by the manufacturer?

It is my understanding that Microsoft requires the manufacturer to provide the user with a method of re-installing Windows. Often the OEM provides a set of system recovery / system restore optical disks. It is possible, using the steps at http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/wxp/ for one to create a repair / re-installation CD.

I hope that helps clairfy the issue.

D_L

When I purchased my system, it came with a “Product Key” number which was my proof of ownership. If I wanted an actual operating system disk, I was expected to pay for it.

The OS files are on your hard drive though, right?

Like Compaq will make a backup set of CD’s for you when you run the appropriate application, for example.

Correct - I have a fully functioning operating system but if I needed to reformat, I did not have the ability to do this myself without purchasing the system disks. Having the product key meant I could prove I was a legal owner.

Errr - but why not just backup your install files?

Backing up the install files is only part of the process.

The specific steps for Windows XP Pro and Home systems are outlined at the link in my initial post. And it is more than just taking the “i386” folder [ the steps for XP Pro / Home, which I resume is required for WMCE 2005 ] and creating a bootable CD.

If one needs to repair a file using Windows XP’s “sfc /scannow” [ start > run > type:sfc /scannow ] tool, one often needs the CD.

Why should I spend $10 if I have already paid the OEM for the OS?

D_L

If you already know all of this, why are you asking the question?

Yes…just follow the directions as people have outlined. If worse comes to worse you can contact Microsoft, prove your licence and get a disk sent to you. $10 isn’t going to break the bank, is it? :slight_smile:

I have contacted Microsoft. They will not send one. They will sell one, for > $100.

D_L

Contact the system maker and ask them about getting the full set of disks.

What MFG did you purchase the PC from?

Was there no method of building install disks?

You could just make a Norton Ghost image, I suppose, and store it on a DVD which would then allow you to later reinstall to that config.

If a repair of Windows XP is required, or if one attempts to repair XP by running “sfc /scannow”, the repair set will not work.

From the time an image [ or clone ] is created until the moment of failure, the potential exists for the user to create hundreds+ files. All programs, updates, email messages, address book entries that occured after the clone / image is created will need to be created.

Repairing Windows XP can be useful.

D_L

One is screwed and should have purchased the media as well.
One can guess. It’s a Dell isn’t it? :slight_smile:

It is my understanding that Microsoft requires the manufacturer to provide the user with a method of re-installing Windows.
Untrue. The only thing Microsoft is required to do is to give you a single-user license and an opportunity to either disagree or accept the end-user license agreement.

Often the OEM provides a set of system recovery / system restore optical disks. It is possible, using the steps at http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/wxp/ for one to create a repair / re-installation CD.
One requires the original files for that, often found in the i386 directory on your c-drive.

And they say one is the loneliest number.lol

Mr B:
"One requires the original files for that, often found in the i386 directory on your c-drive."
More than the i386 folder is needed, as I stated in #9, above.

D_L

Perhaps it would be worth doing to order an OEM copy on disk from Newegg.com or something:

Yeah, it’s $110, but it will be a full-on fresh-install copy, not an upgrade copy, and that way it’s “portable”, since you have the original OEM license tied to your current machine and can transfer / sell it when you change to another machine.

XP Home OEM is only $88, it seems:

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

Right! Give them a jingle and tell them you need an installation disc. You paid for the OS, you ought to get a disc to use in case of a HDD failure or in case of a virus trojan etc.

However, it is possible the image is already on your PC. If you look in the i386 folder and see winnt.exe and winnt32.exe. you are in luck. Sometimes they do this to save money.

Crabbyappleton:
Finally, a response that addresses my question. Someone who understands the situation. But, one needs more than i386, winnt.exe & winnt32.exe.

http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/wxp/

D_L, a true fan of Tom Terrific