Windows XP FAT32 -> NTFS

I still have FAT32 in use with XP PRO, since i wanted to be able to change back to 98SE if… But now í’d like to change to NTFS now. Windows does not have a tool for this, or does it? Have anyone used any tools to perform this (With WinXP especially, since i found out, that Win2000 compatible patition programs etc. do not necessarily work with XP). I would be very thankfull for any advice on this matter, your own experiences with partition handling software would be very interesting. I would like to get this done easily and most of all SAFELY! If you have done it, please tell me what program you used for this operation.

Thanks in advance!

/edit
OK, i was blind, it was a command line command, convert, which i was looking for. Job done, everything works fine!-)

Microsoft instructions Here

To convert a FAT partition to NTFS, perform the following steps.

In Windows XP, click Start, click Run, type cmd and then click OK.

At the command prompt, type CONVERT [driveletter]: /FS:NTFS.

Convert.exe will attempt to convert the partition to NTFS.

NOTE: Although the chance of corruption or data loss during the conversion from FAT to NTFS is minimal, it is best to perform a full backup of the data on the drive that it is to be converted prior to executing the convert command. It is also recommended to verify the integrity of the backup before proceeding, as well as to run RDISK and update the emergency repair disk (ERD).

I take it Windows 98se doesnt like NTFS then?

Win9x & ME (and NT 4) are purely FAT (FAT 16 & 32) based os´s, they can not read data on ntfs partition at all. Only Windows 2k and XP fully support NTFS (NT4 sp4 only partially). So if you update your windows to XP and convert partitions to NTFS at the same time, there is no easy way back…

I had difficulties finding this convert, since i remembered it would be a GUI function, but it was command line command, so no problem, i got it running right after posting the original thread; I leave it here since someone else could maybe use this information also…

Microsoft link:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307881

Thanks for answers!-)

PS. i recommend getting Win XP and changing to NTFS - by far the best home os for average and better home computers (i recommend 500MHz, 256MB, 10G or better).

patiton magic 8.0 can change a file system even when os is running on it without any loss of data. unless you want to format the partition completely use pm8;)

PM is nto a bad program if you use it right.

You can go from Fat32 to NTfs but not the other way around.
If you have problems with something created under windows2000 and XP, it could stem from xp and 2k use a similiar NTfs structure, but it should be ok unless you set up a dynamic drive and use the encryption that is with XP.