Windows XP does not recognize ONIDTECH DVD-R as a DVD-R

Hi,

I have a TEAC DV-W58G-A DVD writer with the latest firmware update. Here are the details about it: http://www.teac.co.jp/dspd/product/optical/dv-w58ga.html. It can write to DVD-R at 8x speed.

I also bought some DVD-R disks. Here are the details about the disks:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:ONIDTECH]

Disc Type : [DVD-R]
Manufacturer ID : [ONIDTECH]
Manufacturer Name : [UL TRAN Technology & Service Corp.]
Disc Application Code : [Unrestricted Use : Consumer Purpose]
Recording Speeds : [1x , 2x , 4x] (8x Cannot Be Detected)
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4,489.3MB = 4.38GB (4.71GB)]

[DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com]

Before I insert the disk, Windows XP SP2 shows the drive correctly as a DVD writer. However, as soon as I insert the disk, Windows XP suddenly decides that it is a “CD Drive”. I cannot coax it into thinking that the drive is a DVD writer. Nero Express also thinks that it is a CD drive. Only DVD Identifier realizes that the disk is a DVD-R. How can I make Windows XP and Nero realize that the disk is a DVD-R and not a CD?

Thanks in advance!
Vijay

Put the disc in the burner, only when you are ready to burn it in nero :wink:

I have the exact same thing happening. It WAS working then suddenly it wasn’t. I’ve got two different burners…a Plextor and a NEC and it’s happening on both. It won’t recognize a Sony +R or a Maxell -R. It doesn’t matter when I put the disc in…it won’t read it.
Good luck…

Update: I checked a MS board and there are other users having this same problem. One person stated that Nero needed an update to work with XP sp2. I dunno…Nero actually burned a couple before I started having problems and I didn’t install sp2.

Alright, this is what I did:
Uninstall Roxio and Nero
Uninstall the dvd and cd player from your device manager
Reboot (no luck)
Download XP service pack 2 (not a bad idea since it fixes alot of dvd rw issues)
Reboot (no luck)
Uninstall the dvd player from device manager again (no luck)
At this point I was determined to figure out what the hell was going on. I opened up my Maxwll -R spindle and started trying one after another. On the fourth disc, all of a sudden, it worked. I noticed that I had used a burn speed of 2x so I retried the ‘bad’ dvds with a burn speed of 2x and they still failed so they’re duds.
I got a good burn with one -R and it’s playing on my home dvd player now. Tried the same thing with my Sony +R discs and had to toss another 2 discs before I found one that would burn. Apparently, I have a bad dvd run…ON BOTH BRANDS.
I don’t know if all the software juggling helped or not but one of my problems was/is bad media.
Good luck.

Where did you get this media?

What is the maxell media rated at?

You should report the shop where you bought this bad media to Maxell, as it may be counterfeit media.

Maxell media is supposed to be good quality media.