Windows XP boot stalling when disc in drive

I have a recently purchased PC, built around a P5N-E SLI with an Intel Core2 Duo E7200. I’m running XP Home (SP3). Powered by a 500w supply.

The optical drive is an Optiarc AD-7201 DVD Writer (listed in the Bios utility as SATA 2). I have an issue with booting Windows when a disc is in the drive. Basically it will sometimes stall and not fully load Windows, as the PC continues attempting to read the disc. Ejecting the disc then allows Windows to fully load.

I have tried changing the Boot Device Priority, but several variations has made no difference. Does anyone have any ideas?

BIOS version is 02/19/2008-C55-MCP51-P5N-ESLI-00

No one got any ideas?! :frowning:

1. Remove any disc in your drive before booting Windows
  2. Set your BIOS boot options to boot from hard drive before booting from CD/DVD
    (or disable booting from CD/DVD altogether)
  3. Remove any disc in your drive before shutting down Windows :smiley:

Other than that I have no good ideas.

I agree with DrageMester: the most probable cause is that your PC checks if the media inserted is a bootable CD/DVD and this stalls the PC. Normally this souldn’t take more that 4-5 seconds though.

If your problem is after loading the main part of the OS, then maybe it is an issue with your antivirus. Probably it checks the CD/DVD for viruses and this stalls your PC.

I’m affraid I cannot think of anything else at the moment…

[QUOTE=Jonesy127;2268947]I have tried changing the Boot Device Priority, but several variations has made no difference.[/QUOTE]

I’ve already tried this.

[QUOTE=yyy;2275019]If your problem is after loading the main part of the OS, then maybe it is an issue with your antivirus. Probably it checks the CD/DVD for viruses and this stalls your PC.[/QUOTE]

Haven’t thought of that - will try turning off AVG Free…

I have the same problem occasionally on my laptop with the external dvd writer. Ejecting the disk solves the problem; I think this is just a ‘feature’ of windows :wink:

Sláinte

midders

[QUOTE=Jonesy127;2275075]Haven’t thought of that - will try turning off AVG Free…[/QUOTE] If a disc in your optical drive delays Windows during boot because it’s being scanned by your Antivirus program, then turning off your Antivirus is not the solution - removing the disc is the solution!

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2275118]If a disc in your optical drive delays Windows during boot because it’s being scanned by your Antivirus program, then turning off your Antivirus is not the solution - removing the disc is the solution![/QUOTE]

You’re right, but at least he/she will find out if this is the cause of delay! :wink:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2275118]If a disc in your optical drive delays Windows during boot because it’s being scanned by your Antivirus program, then turning off your Antivirus is not the solution - removing the disc is the solution![/QUOTE]

Well I used AVG Free before on my old PC and this was never a problem.

If it turns out that it is AVG that is the problem, I will uninstall and choose a different anti-virus program. Never being able to boot the PC with a disc in the drive is a hassle I don’t want…