Windows XP and prepairing future setups

vbimport

Hi all, I need some help here
I have a laptop that

[ul]
[li]has 100GB hard disk[/li][li]doesn’t have a floppy disk[/li][li]has a DVD-Rom driver but it isn’t working and I tried 2 another drivers, all of them stopped working so I’m using a external usb DVD-Rom drive now.[/li][li]can’t boot from usb even with updated BIOS.[/li][/ul]
Now I can use my Windows XP Pro without problems. But if my partitions just don’t work, can I reformat my PC and install XP easily? [U]No.

[/U]I made my disk from 20GB+80GB to 20GB+76GB+4GB . Copied all files from XP installation CD to 4GB partition. Added
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS=“Microsoft Windows XP Professional Setup”
to boot.ini
But I can’t open setup in startup, it gives error. What can I do to make my third partition bootable?

Try unistalling your dvd drive via device manager then reboot computer, windows will install the drive itself then try your OS disk again. ALso try cleaning lens with some rubbing acohol. If still not working then I would just replace the slim type drive in your computer since doing so is cheap and easy.

no luck from drive - tried everything, cleaned, removed&reinstalled, changed it, still shows itself as
PIIMIYS) D_D±[W)SMVM8=49
Pklol{S+ D[D±{W+SoVo8?4; ->(first word is Philips, right.)
or something like these random letters and numbers, changes when I reboot - tried vista, too. it’s a problem with hardware, possibly mainboard, I think.

I was just wondering about doing it without dvd-rom or floppy, only with hdd.

I would replace the slim-type drive with a Optiarc from Sony/NEC. It really easy and plus you can use this drive only to install OS and software. This will help the drive last longer. Just use your USB drive to burn your media.

Seems that it will be my only solution. Do optiarc slim drives can be used in all notebooks? (Mine is MSI-M635)

Yes this one will work for your note book but you will need your back plate harness from your old one, just screw you harness to the new drive and slide it in. This drive is Vista ready. And you can label disks with LabelFlash too. Take a look around the web for I have seen it for under 70 dollars at times.

AD-7593A.pdf (162 KB)

[QUOTE=pokerpoker;2058804][B]Now I can use my Windows XP Pro without problems. [/B]But if my partitions just don’t work, can I reformat my PC and install XP easily? [U]No.

[/U]I made my disk from 20GB+80GB to 20GB+76GB+4GB . Copied all files from XP installation CD to 4GB partition. Added
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Setup"
to boot.ini
But I can’t open setup in startup, it gives error. What can I do to make my third partition bootable?[/QUOTE]

You can re size your partitions without reformatting if you get Partition Magic software.
It can re size partitions and relocate files without reformatting whole drive like Windows will do.

Hi,[quote=pokerpoker;2058842]… still shows itself as
PIIMIYS) D_D±[W)SMVM8=49
Pklol{S+ D[D±{W+SoVo8?4; ->(first word is Philips, right.)
[/quote]Such is typical for a bad IDE cable. Even replacing the drive by something else won’t help unless you manage to have the cable replaced (or fixed).

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2059346]Hi,Such is typical for a bad IDE cable. Even replacing the drive by something else won’t help unless you manage to have the cable replaced (or fixed).

Michael[/QUOTE]

Well he has no cable this is a laptop. The drive connects straight to the motherboard. It may mean a new MOBO if the new drive does the same thing.