Windows XP and installed hardwaree

Hi all,

This has been bugging me a lot but I think it should have a solution. Well, the thing is that everytime I attach any new hardware to my machine running Windows XP Professional, it installs the hardware (such as a DVD-R or a CD-RW etc.) and believe me i have installed a lot of those on my computer sometimes to troubleshoot and other times just for the heck of it. Anyways, it’s not only optical drives but also scanners, printers and other hardware. And i know that all that information is lurking inside the OS somewhere, because the next time i attach one any of these devices, it directly shows. Now my question is where can i find where all this hardware information is and how do i uninstall/remove this?

Thx,
Aquarius. :slight_smile:

1. download and run the Show All Hidden Devices in the Device Manager vbs from http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm line 116.
  2. reboot. open device manager/view/show hidden devices/
  3. navigate down the tree/expand branches. when you see a ghosted device entry CAREFULLY decide to rightclick on it/uninstall

Thanks so much for your advice. :bow:

okie, now once i have finished uninstalling all the stuff, how do i uninstall the .vbs script so that the Show Hidden Devices option in the Device Manager is no longer available.

Thx,
Aquarius. :slight_smile:

…how do i uninstall the .vbs script so that the Show Hidden Devices option in the Device Manager is no longer available - you’re kidding me,no ? :slight_smile:

find this key in the registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment\DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES

set the value to 0 instead of 1

hee, hee :wink:

Thx alot,

Aquarius