Windows XP activation via VMware - Failure.?

hi ,
I have finally switched to Win 10,
but it comes with advantages and dis advantages different to each person.
So, windows XP , I have Printmaster older version and with saved bits and pieces as you do.
loaded VMware 15.5 onto a windows 10 platform, and within VMware, Xp into this, all appeared to go well, till I got to the activation of Win XP via the VMware , through Win 10.

Any thoughts on how I could get around this.?

Many thanks.

You may still be able to activate XP over your phone using the automated service.
I can’t remember how this is done on XP, but perhaps it’s an option when you try to activate it normally.
I assume you have a legal CD key for XP.

Some versions of Windows, like e.g. OEM versions, have a limited number of activations via internet, then you have to use their phone service. Retail versions allow a lot more activations without that. So if you’ve a valid license, just call.
Could also be a problem with the network options in VMware?

thank you,
look that way.

I have been trying to change the network option within VMware (Bridge) (and use that same as the host etc).and have not made any progress, looks like I will have to look further in VMware also…
many thanks

For VMWare networking. I prefer to use the NAT option.
Can you open a web browser and view a webpage?
if you can then VM networking is working

I thought I’d mention this in case it helps anyone else.

If the copy of Windows XP originally came preinstalled on a PC, it probably won’t use the standard activation system. (And unlike later versions of Windows, it will not boot to the desktop at all!) Instead it was ‘preactivated’ by a DMI string in the BIOS & matching OEMBIOS files on the drive (SLP 1.0). Originally, if for example the motherboard had to be changed, you could use the license number on the Windows COA sticker to reactivate the conventional way. But this was disabled by Microsoft c.2005. There were third party tools which could easily add the DMI string to most BIOSes, but these would not work for a VM.

Fortunately it is possible to use an image taken from a SLP 1.0 OEM installation of Windows in VMware or Virtualbox. (Although doing so will violate the license agreement, which is tied to the original hardware. But if one is just trying to migrate to a newer machine…)

For VMware, there are modified BIOS files available. For VirtualBox (IIRC) it was simply a case of modifying the VM configuration text file to add the correct DMI string for your machine.