Windows Won't StartUp

vbimport

I havent used my computer in a couple months and the first time I went to start it up, right after the “loading Windows screen” it goes black then tells me the following:

"Windows has detected a registry/configuration error. Choose commpant prompt only and run SCANREG

"type the name of the command interpreter (e.g., C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM)
C>_ "

I am running in Windows 98 and I’m not sure what to do. Thanks for the help.

Have you tried what it says to do?

When you startup Windows, press F8 to get into boot choices menu. Then press command prompt only, and then follow the instructions

its telling you what to do.
when it comes up with this line "type the name of the command interpreter (e.g., C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM)
C>_ " type in this(ill try keep it easy to follow for you shouldnt be hard though): “cd windows”
then it should look something like this "c:\windows> now type in command.com. Now you should have got a message that says something like “Microsoft® windows Dos with a copyright message under that” now just type in what it says too “Scanreg”

I did what you said by just typing in “cd windows” to get to the windows folder but it just repeated me to type in the name of the command interepreter. I dunno???

i just did

Maybe command.com is corupted or virus infected?

Try copying over it with the command.com from the Win98 cd.
If you also have DOS, install it from the DOS disks.

If it works once upon initial boot, but never again, definitely scan for viruses.

from the c:> prompt, type .\windows\command.com

i think that works, maybe flip the \ to /'s. if that does not work, you can do a repair with the cd? i havent used win9x in 3-4 yrs :frowning:

Don’t think so with Win98. I think this was a feature introduced from Win2k onwards.

Originally posted by hbboks
I did what you said by just typing in “cd windows” to get to the windows folder but it just repeated me to type in the name of the command interepreter. I dunno???
Have you tried just typing command.com then?

yea ive tried typing in anything and everything that you guys have said. My friend is giving me a new hard drive to put in so I’m just gonna take out that drive C and put it a new harddrive as my drive C and start from scratch.

Thanks for all your help

try

cd %windows%, as that takes you direct to the windows folder.

unfortunately if hes stuck at “enter the command interpretor” it means it hasn’t processed the autoexec.bat which means he wont have those environment variables set so the %windows% wont work

most likely his fat table has been corrupted. when things like that happen its most often the cause.

in that cause it might just be simpler to restore

no its just a corrupted interpreter. he needs to just re-copy command.com to root drive of C:

Autoexec.bat is loaded later, the first files to load on any O/S are io.sys; msdos.sys;config.sys;commnad.com;autoexec.bat in this specific order.

yeah but most likely files like that dont “dissappear” for no reason. Sure copying the command interpreter might work but depending on why it happened it might not help

Unless someone was just trying to free up space and saw these files that they thought they never used in the c:\ directory