Windows won't detect DVD drive (Sony DRU-830A)

Hi,

I recently had some problems with my DVD drive and I installed another (Sony DRU-830A), as a slave. However, when I started Windows, the drive wasn’t detected, either in “Computer” or the device manager. Then, I checked in the BIOS, and the drive was listed there. Also, I am able to boot CDs or DVDs before Windows starts, so the problem is really in Windows.

I’ve also tried to start Windows only with this drive, and as a master, but I still had the same problem. I’ve already tried to do what it says on this website, but it didn’t work : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060. Thanks for your help!

try going to the device manager and uninstalling the secondary ide channel then restart and see if that helps. Windows will reinstall that when you restart computer.

Is the name of the ide channel supposed to be “secondary”? Because if it is, it’s not in the list. Here’s a list of what is in the device manager (maybe it’s not the exact names, because my Windows is in french):

• ATA Channel 0
  • ATA Channel 1
  • IDE Controller
  • NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller

Got the jumpers in the back of the drive set correctly?

[QUOTE=pfloyd1;2487768]Got the jumpers in the back of the drive set correctly?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I guess so. The drive is set to master.

Anything else hooked to the same ide cable?

[QUOTE=pfloyd1;2488011]Anything else hooked to the same ide cable?[/QUOTE]
Yes, my old DVD drive is connected to it. I tried to connect both, but it didn’t work, so I tried to unplug the old drive and plug the new one, but it didn’t work either.

The old drive work?

[QUOTE=pfloyd1;2488056]The old drive work?[/QUOTE]
Well it was working, but I couldn’t read burned DVDs with it, so I decided to replace it. The new one is working before Windows starts, but Windows won’t recognize it.

I just realised that someone had the same problem as me, with the same drive, so it’s probably not because something is broken on my drive : http://club.myce.com/f7/computer-wont-recognize-dvd-drive-229115/