Windows Vista?

I’m thinking about migrating, is it still full of glitches?

[QUOTE=Goit;1918294]I’m thinking about migrating, is it still full of glitches?[/QUOTE]

if you migrat to Vista you may want to go with the Ultimate version because with the Home prem you don’t have full access even though you own the PC or software

Depends on your hardware. Vista runs well on newer machines, but 1gb of memory is minimum to run at a decent level, and virtually everyone recommends 2gb or more for better performance.

Vista’s weakest points are compatibility with older peripherals, like some add in cards, scanners, printers, etc., and some fairly poor driver support. Lots of different companies have been slow to put out reliable drivers for the system, and it is way past time for that. The video driver situation is getting better, but I don’t think Vista has caught up to XP as a system for running games.

I have some software that doesn’t run on Vista, so I won’t be going over entirely for a long time. I run a dual boot system, and hardly ever go into Vista unless I’m using my ATI capture card for videos, or for watching tv on the computer.

Most businesses are waiting for SP1 for Vista which should be out sometime in the coming year.

Edit: Dad gum StormJumper, I hit post quick reply and your post jumped in. We must have posted within a couple of seconds of each other. Permissions [B]is[/B] a sore point in Vista. I just turn the blasted UAC off.

Been running vista ultimate 64b for the last few months and theres not a chance i’d go back to xp, it would feel like i’ve gone back to win95. Yes there are a few driver problems but that is NOT the fault of vista, that IS the fault of the vendors.
I have about 140 games here and only 1 doesn’t run. I have 2 pieces of hardware here that don’t work and thats because of the vendors not vista cough creative —line 6 cough

Edit: Yes I too turn UAC off, I wouldn’t mind it if it just asked at install but every time you start the program is a pain in the arse

i dont have vista so i really cant comment on how it operates. i do know there is a vista readiness test available at pcpitstop.com. now i dont know how accurate this is but my system doesnt pass the recommended requirements due to my 40 gig hard drive and onboard video card. :bigsmile:

http://pcpitstop.com/vistaready/default.asp

fyi, pcpitstop works best with ie

[QUOTE=slayerking;1918323]Been running vista ultimate 64b for the last few months and theres not a chance i’d go back to xp, it would feel like i’ve gone back to win95…

Edit: Yes I too turn UAC off, I wouldn’t mind it if it just asked at install but every time you start the program is a pain in the arse[/QUOTE]

Those are my feelings exactly. Vista feels nice and smooth and solid. As for UAC, nothing like a popup every ten minutes to let you know your computer doesn’t take you seriously. :slight_smile:

I too, would have been a minor supporter of Vista until the latest update from AVG trashed it and triggered BSOB. Fortunately the restore worked and I assume the problem is with AVG but who knows. After the SP1 updates things will be a lot better.

I’m using AVG, too, and the latest updates have been uneventful… :confused:

I was rather asking about the bugs in Vista, not hardware compatibility.

The only bug I’ve heard of lately is the memory problem when transferring huge numbers of files…as in 16,000. And lots of people complain about slow speed across local networks when transferring data. Don’t know if that affects you or not.

I think new updates have just been released for that very problem Kerry56.

SP1 won’t change alot but having installed will fix a few annoying tihngs.

my advice is since XP already works well for you i would just stick with WindowsXP for a while.

i would not even consider switching to vista til ATLEAST SP1. since usually most of the major issues will be fixed by this point in time.

and it’s like people said above… 1GB of ram is pretty much the minimum you need for vista to run solid although 2GB is probably optimal.

cause as i always said (thought) 512MB of RAM to XP is probably like 1GB is to Vista… solid for general use but for anything thats a memory hog u will notice a noticeable drop in performance between xp and vista most likely.

just some thoughts :wink: