Windows Vista tips and tweaks

vbimport

I would like to propose that a thread be started on user findings and how to enhance the performance of Vista, I for one find the 32 bit vesion very slow and cumbersome. Any input to the enhancment of Vista would be welcomed . If a mod would consider making a thread it about this I am sure it would be appreceiated by many that are using Vista. My only input so far is I downloaded Sisoft Sandra then ran the advice and anaylsis wizard and turned off some proccess. But to no avail here is what is left of my high priced memory. 55MB?:rolleyes:

That’s called “SuperFetch”.

Here is the link:

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000688.html

Lol great idea turn CDfreaks into a Vista forum. What about the members using Mac, XP, and Linux, should they also have a thread each. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the link.:slight_smile: Looks like we will have to live with it.:rolleyes: I have heard that the 64 bit version uses the memory more effeciently. Can some one show us if the 64 bit version does the same.

That wasn’t my intent but some people have used Vista and tested it and may have some helpful insight. Like this. It was just a thought.:wink:

I think its a great idea crossq. But I also think we should give Vista at least until the first Service pack is released to make an actual analysis.:wink:

Yeah you are probably right. Guess I am a little miffed that you build an up to date system only to have it slowed down by the OS.:slight_smile: If someone knows how to disable the security center I would appreiciate it. Disabled it in Services but it still starts up warning me to turn it on.:frowning:

Just an FYI. Disabled Rediboost (reading this)and Superfetch in Services and haven’t noticed that the system is any slower than when these apps were running. It seems to use memory more like XP with superfetch disabled. Havent tried any memory hungry programs though.

Hi :slight_smile:
It’s my understanding that the bottom row of figures is the important one.
With nothing disabled & marginally more services running (hence CPU 3%). Memory usage is still the same 30%.

Yep the bottom row could be the more important one. Still mine is showing cached memory just not as much. I will play around with this setting for a bit and see if I notice any big differences.:wink:

I haven’t had any frustration with Vista’s memory management… RAM seems to be available whenever I need it, so I’m free to get peeved with other aspects of the OS. The new TCP/IP stack rocks, per-application audio volume memory rocks, backwards-compatibility with existing software has been okay, the HDD backup feature rocks, and the OS seems rock solid. But there are a few things that ticked me off a bit:

Folder Views: Whose computer is this, anyway? I’m a CD Freak; I don’t need a Burn icon hogging space that could be used to display folder contents. You need a book to finally get the folder views for the various templates to display the way you want them to… and to make them stay that way. :slight_smile:

Activation: I bumped my FSB a few mhz… what do you mean I have to activate again?

Activation: I have two drive drawers and a bunch of removable HDDs… what do you mean I have to activate again?

Activation: I switched one of my SATA controllers to AHCI mode… what do you mean I have to activate again? Hey, what do you mean I have to TELEPHONE someone to get my machine activated again? Whose computer is this, anyway?!

Anyway, no memory management issues for me. Anger management is another story.

Hehe yes they are getting way to carried away with the activation thing, I havent had any O/C activation problems yet as I am always playing with O/C. Was planning to switch my Controller to AHCI mode once I figure it out. If I have to call Microsoft one more time this month I will need some anger management as well.:slight_smile:

Lol … how about this … A Dell laptop … Dell technicians came in to change the motherboard twice, due to an incredibly slow card reader bundled in the side (not vista readyboost compatible due to inredibly shitty speeds) and it required reactivation 4 times within 1 week thanks to an updated bios flashing :stuck_out_tongue:

Grrrr!!!
FFS!

Glad I moved my personal desktop machine to openSuse10.2 … awaiting kubuntu 7.04 or Suse 10.3 … this lappies Sata controller (I think) doesn’t seem to like linux much :stuck_out_tongue:

:iagree: :stuck_out_tongue: :bigsmile:
di :flower:

I like the 64 bit better than the 32 bit. I have each in two PC’s. I do a lot of testing and so I am sick of activating sometimes twice in a day. Lots of phone time being wasted. I use XP Pro as the master HD in all of my PC’s. This allows me to uninterruptedly test lots of Linux OS as well as run Vista. Since I use XP Pro Corp version, I never have a problem with activation. That warning window that pops up at each restart is a joy compared to all of the crap that you have to go through every time you want to install a program or open a new program, and having to go through that permission crap.

This Link I found on a South African Forum helped me a bit with my Vista :bigsmile:

http://www.howtogeek.com/tag/windows-vista/

After numerous questions and trying different TWEAK programmes Found this File :bow:
I use Copy to Move to, all the time :slight_smile:

Biggest help so far. :bigsmile:

Hi :slight_smile:
Thanks diane7.
The above links are handy to say the least.
:iagree: :clap: :bow: :cool:

[quote=zebadee;2033262]Hi :slight_smile:
Thanks diane7.
The above links are handy to say the least.
:iagree: :clap: :bow: :cool:[/quote]

:stuck_out_tongue: As the Admin on cdfreaks wont give me my own Vista forum ;):bigsmile:
I have to peaster you lot :flower:

Thanks

di

For those of you that don’t have Windows update turned on, [B]Vista SP1 is available[/B] for download thru Windows update 66.9 Mb. (450 mb if you download it from Microsoft download center). You have to get all the updates up to date then it will allow you to install the SP. May have already been mentioned.

[QUOTE=crossg;1737248]Thanks for the link.:slight_smile: Looks like we will have to live with it.:rolleyes: I have heard that the 64 bit version uses the memory more effeciently. Can some one show us if the 64 bit version does the same.[/QUOTE]

I don’t know if it does the same but I do know the performance difference between the 32 and 64 bit versions of Vista is substantial. I have used both versions and the 64 bit version is much faster in all respects. The rub is trying to find 64 bit programs and drivers for older hardware to take advantage of this potential. If I had to run Vista, and I don’t, it definitely would be the 64 bit copy.