Windows vista not recognizing samsung pata sh-s222s cd/dvd writer

ANYONE HAVING A PROBLEM WITH SAMSUNG PATA SH-S222A CD/DVD WRITER NOT BEING RECOGNIZED IN WINDOWS VISTA 32? I HAD TWO (OLDER) OTHER CD/DVD DRIVES THAT WERE WORKING JUST FINE TOOK THEM OUT TO UPGRADE TO THE SAMSUNG DRIVES SET THEM UP AS CABLE SELECT BUT WINDOWS WOULD NOT RECOGNIZE THEM. I THEN CHANGED THE JUMPER TO MASTER AND SLAVE BUT STILL NO LUCK. TOOK ONE DRIVE OUT AND WINDOWS TRIED TO FIND THE DRIVE BUT SAID COULD NOT LOAD BECAUSE WAS NOT COMPATIBLE CONTACT THE VENDOR. I TRIED TO GO TO SAMSUNG AND WHEN I RAN THEIR SOFTWARE IT DOES NOT RECOGNIZE THE DRIVES EITHER. I DO HAVE 1 OTHER SATA SAMSUNG DRIVE ON THE COMPUTER ALREADY AND IT WORKS FINE BUT THT PATA DRIVES DON’T. THE BIOS ON THE MOTHER BOARD RECOGNIZES THE DRIVES AND SAYS THEY ARE THERE BUT WHEN VISTA LOADS NOTHING… ANYONE KNOW ANY FIXES FOR THIS PROBLEM… HAVE AN ASUS M2N MOTHER BOARD AMD X64 5200 PROCESSOR 4 GIGS OF RAM
ROCK

Does the bios/setup recognize them?

And stop using all CAPITALS, it’s considered rude and shouting on the internet.

Near the end of that block of letters he says: [I]the bios on the motherboard recognizes the drives and says they are there[/I] (I refuse to repeat the capital letters even in a quote)

Have you ever run any PATA drives on this motherboard before now? Have you tried updating the motherboard chipset drivers?

Ah, thank you.

Well then, do the drives work in windows safe mode?
Can you nuke both devices in the device manager and reboot vista to check if they reappear?

WELL HERE’S ONE FOR YOU I HAVE AN EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE CONNECTOR WITH BOTH EIDE AND SATA HOOK UPS AND BOTH DRIVES WORK WITH IT BUT THE COMPUTER GOES INTO DUMP MODE WHEN I TRY TO BURN WITH THEM. OTHER THAN THAT THEY WORK ON AN EXTERNAL CABLE THROUGH A USB PORT SO MUST BE THE DRIVER ON THE MOTHER BOARD EVAN THOUGH THE MOTHER BOARD RECOGNIZES THEM. I WILL GO TO ASUS AND SEE IF THEY HAVE AN UPDATE DRIVER… THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

_

Maybe the OP is hard of hearing and thinks he has to shout for anyone to hear him. LOL!!! :rolleyes: