Windows Update Malfunction

Not sure what’s happening here, but for some reason, my Windows Update refuse to run, even though the service says it’s starting. Anyway, everytime I try to open the Windows Update, it would cause the Windows Explorer to crash and restart. I wonder if this is what causes the driver to not be able to detect my printer device, or the search function to malfunction…

Which Win OS? If you suspect a print driver, why? (Was that the most-recent device you’ve installed?)

And when you type “Windows Explorer”, do you mean the File Manager, not “Internet Explorer” the web browser?

I remember WinUpdate Refusals-to-Run occasionally on re-loads or new-installs on XP-w/SP2, and I forget the exact solution - I think I downloaded XP’s SP3-Network-Version onto that C: Drive and installed it, and after the restart, then WinUpdate functioned. I seem to recall blame being pointed at some Framework (1.1? 3?) conflict.

I’m using Windows 7. I don’t think I installed any hard wares recently; I replaced my hard disk, but the printer refused to re-install, though the broadband modem was fine.

By Windows Explorer, I meant the explorer.exe in the Task Manager processes

Yes, “Explorer.EXE” is the file-manager Windows Explorer. Just checking - on forums, it’s common to run across typos, misspellings and misused nomenclature, and I wanted to be certain.

Replacing the hard drive sounds like an adventure but I’m uncertain why the Printer Driver wouldn’t reinstall.

On some printer drivers, I must leave the printer either powered off or un-connected (USB unplugged), and then install the Software first.

During some point in the software’s installation, I am told, “Now, connect the printer”.

If I do this out-of-sequence, Windows itself might see the attached printer before I can load its offtctal driver. Windows tries to install some generic driver and this interrupts or interferes with the printer’s true driver installation.

I wonder if this could be the issue?

Try to delete any non-Microsoft generic printers that are listed… (Control Panel / Printers…)

Try to delete (uninstall) any printer-specific software in the Control Panel’s PROGRAMS listing.

Then, disconnect or power-down the printer, restart the computer and try installing the printer’s software from the manufacturer’s disk. (If you don’t have that, then the printer’s website probably has a downloadable version of this. Download that to your computer first, then go thru the above Delete/Uninstall steps, reboot and try to run that downloaded driver.)

[QUOTE=vhanster;2676718]Not sure what’s happening here, but for some reason, my Windows Update refuse to run, even though the service says it’s starting. Anyway, everytime I try to open the Windows Update, it would cause the Windows Explorer to crash and restart. I wonder if this is what causes the driver to not be able to detect my printer device, or the search function to malfunction…[/QUOTE]

Your going to have to give more specss and software details to be of useful help here.