Windows update error

vbimport

hello everyone I am having an issue with my windows 7 update im running windows 7 32 bit sp1 and now when I open my update it gives me this #elementmoduleheadertext# then underneath it gives me to options actioncustominstallimportanttext and actioncustominatalloptionaltext.

and of course to no suprise neither option works that would be to easy I can click on either option hit the blue blank button and nothing happens my CP just looks at me like I am a idiot. so I obviously do not know what this error is and if it is stopping windows update from working at all or it is just some sub thing. I am sure someone has had this same problem and figured out how to fix it if so please explaine to me how to fix it please.

1. Please click on the link below.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/KB971058
    2 . Run the Fixit. :wink:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2696160]1. Please click on the link below.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/KB971058
2 . Run the Fixit. ;)[/QUOTE]
Thank you alan but that did not fix it it is still there it fix other things but not the one I needed fixed.

Try This:

http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/

well nothing works naturally and microsofts help desk is a complete waste of time you will sit there for days on end waiting to talk to a tech and never get to talk to one.

But I will get it all figured out eventually thank for the suggestion’s guys I appreciate it . computers can really be frustrating sometimes.

I Googled this & this is what I’ve found so far.

More than once I found a suggestion to use the “sfc /scannow” command with the “cmd” command prompt in administrator elevation.

In the link posted by alan1476 there is a Let me fix it myself.
One thing it does is have you re-register a bunch of .dlls.
It says type but I would use copy & paste unless you just like to type.

This is the information from this section of the link:

To reset the Windows Update components, follow these steps

1.Open a Windows Command Prompt Windows. To open a command prompt, click Start and then click Run. Copy and paste (or type) the following command in the Open box and then press ENTER:

cmd
2.Stop the BITS service and the Windows Update service. To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt. Press ENTER after you type each command. â—¦net stop bits
â—¦net stop wuauserv

3.Delete the qmgr*.dat files. To do this, type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:
Del “%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat”

4.If this is your first attempt at resolving your Windows Update issues by using the steps in this article, go to step 5 without carrying out step 4. Step 4 should only be performed at this point in the troubleshooting if you cannot resolve your Windows Update issues after following all steps but step 4. The steps in step 4 are also performed by the “Aggressive” mode of the Fix it Solution above.Rename the following folders to *.BAK:â– %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore
â– %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\Download
â– %systemroot%\system32\catroot2
To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt. Press ENTER after you type each command.â– Ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore *.bak
â– Ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\Download *.bak
â– Ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 *.bak

b.Reset the BITS service and the Windows Update service to the default security descriptor. To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt. Press ENTER after you type each command.â– sc.exe sdset bits D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
â– sc.exe sdset wuauserv D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)

5.Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:
cd /d %windir%\system32

6.Reregister the BITS files and the Windows Update files. To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt. Press ENTER after you type each command.â—¦regsvr32.exe atl.dll
â—¦ regsvr32.exe urlmon.dll
â—¦ regsvr32.exe mshtml.dll
â—¦ regsvr32.exe shdocvw.dll
â—¦ regsvr32.exe browseui.dll
â—¦ regsvr32.exe jscript.dll
â—¦ regsvr32.exe vbscript.dll
â—¦ regsvr32.exe scrrun.dll
â—¦ regsvr32.exe msxml.dll
â—¦ regsvr32.exe msxml3.dll
â—¦ regsvr32.exe msxml6.dll
â—¦regsvr32.exe actxprxy.dll
â—¦regsvr32.exe softpub.dll
â—¦ regsvr32.exe wintrust.dll
â—¦ regsvr32.exe dssenh.dll
â—¦ regsvr32.exe rsaenh.dll
â—¦ regsvr32.exe gpkcsp.dll
â—¦regsvr32.exe sccbase.dll
â—¦ regsvr32.exe slbcsp.dll
â—¦ regsvr32.exe cryptdlg.dll
â—¦regsvr32.exe oleaut32.dll
â—¦regsvr32.exe ole32.dll
â—¦ regsvr32.exe shell32.dll
â—¦ regsvr32.exe initpki.dll
â—¦ regsvr32.exe wuapi.dll
â—¦ regsvr32.exe wuaueng.dll
â—¦ regsvr32.exe wuaueng1.dll
â—¦ regsvr32.exe wucltui.dll
â—¦ regsvr32.exe wups.dll
â—¦regsvr32.exe wups2.dll
â—¦ regsvr32.exe wuweb.dll
â—¦ regsvr32.exe qmgr.dll
â—¦regsvr32.exe qmgrprxy.dll
â—¦ regsvr32.exe wucltux.dll
â—¦ regsvr32.exe muweb.dll
â—¦ regsvr32.exe wuwebv.dll

7.Reset Winsock. To do this, type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:
netsh winsock reset

8.If you are running Windows XP or Windows Server 2003, you have to configure the proxy settings. To do this, type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:
proxycfg.exe -d

If you are running Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista, type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

netsh winhttp reset proxy

9.Restart the BITS service and the Windows Update service. To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt. Press ENTER after you type each command.â—¦net start bits
â—¦net start wuauserv

10.If you are running Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008, clear the BITS queue. To do this, type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:
bitsadmin.exe /reset /allusers

11.Install the latest Windows Update Agent. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to obtain the latest version of the Windows Update Agent to help manage updates on a computer
12.Restart the computer.

I’m not having any problems with Windows Update so I can’t say the above works.
Maybe it will & I don’t think it will do any harm.
I noticed a few smilie problems with the copy in the quote.
I think they are [B]:[/B] but you might use the link to make sure.

I also found this:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Windows-Update-troubleshooter

[QUOTE=cholla;2696307]I Googled this & this is what I’ve found so far.

More than once I found a suggestion to use the “sfc /scannow” command with the “cmd” command prompt in administrator elevation.

In the link posted by alan1476 there is a Let me fix it myself.
One thing it does is have you re-register a bunch of .dlls.
It says type but I would use copy & paste unless you just like to type.

This is the information from this section of the link:

I’m not having any problems with Windows Update so I can’t say the above works.
Maybe it will & I don’t think it will do any harm.
I noticed a few smilie problems with the copy in the quote.
I think they are [B]:[/B] but you might use the link to make sure.[/QUOTE]
man that is a lot of typing to do.

[QUOTE=cholla;2696316]I also found this:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Windows-Update-troubleshooter[/QUOTE]

well that doesn not work error 404 page could not be found

[QUOTE=Joe3561;2696330]man that is a lot of typing to do.[/QUOTE]

[B]Copy & paste them instead of typing.[/B]

These are the instructions from the link. It works fine for me.
Open the Windows Update troubleshooter

Applies to these editions of Windows 7

Home Premium
Enterprise

If your computer is having problems finding and installing operating system updates, try using a Windows Update troubleshooter to fix the problem. It makes sure that your computer is connected to the Internet, and checks to see whether your network adapter and Windows Update services are running correctly.

•
Open the Windows Update troubleshooter by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting. Under System and Security, click Fix problems with Windows Update.

You could also try booing from the (a) Windows 7 install DVD and running the Repair option.

You can also boot from the same DVD using DaRT and have the option of rolling back to a previously made Restore Point before you had the Update issue. DaRT is a very useful tool and has helped me many times.

[rant]Gives me the shit$ when M$ give you an error code and when you click on it their webpage opens and denies any knowledge of that error. The same error number for multiple different issues is also annoying [/rant]

[QUOTE=biggles77;2696342]Gives me the…[/QUOTE]
Same here. Over on the GERMAN GOV’T WIN8 (Trusted Computing) thread, there is an underlying presumption by the Trusted Computer Org that all things work perfectly, all the time, that no problems ever exist, that every part and software work.

Win Update is a handy feature, and we understand that MS has dived into every individual computer, interrogated the registry keys and then offered updates accordingly.

We understand this is the door they open up and walk thru, any time WE let them.

The fact that this can’t be trusted to work perfectly, all the time, and has gotten more problematic since Vista and Win7 says a lot about the future of delivering on marketing promises/threats.

But so does the three decades of the home-computer world anyway.

I keep wondering what Joe has loaded on his computer - hardware? software? - that is subverting the standard WinUpdate procedure. I wonder if there’s another controller card installed, or multiple video cards or ??

I had the same issue, thank you.

Updates also cannot work if you havent the PRIVS to do that…

Okay, what link here solved the problem? I don’t want to try them all.