Windows Update 1903 Excellent

Windows 1903 has been excellent, I have tested it for over a week and its very stable.

1 Like

Server 2019 is 5 times faster than Windows 10 pro i run server with the desktop experience and there is no way I will ever go back to windows 10 pro.:biggrin:

1 Like

After upgrading to this 1903 update, it looks like it’s not quite ready yet for mass-release.

When I tried manually installing it, it told me “Your PC has hardware that isn’t ready for this version of Windows 10”.

From a quick search, this is a known issue - A USB flash drive, external HDD or memory card will trigger this and indeed I had an SD card in the memory slot and a USB hard disk attached. When I disconnected both and restarted the installation, it installed successfully.

After it installed, it brought up the Edge browser with a 404 error:

Seems like Microsoft removed the tips page for this update or it points to a wrong URL. :smiley:

It also gave me a few of these USB device not recognised messages:
USB%20Not%20Recognised

I’ve no idea what they were about, but once I rebooted I haven’t seen any further and no device issues in Device Manager either.

After this mess, I will wait before installing it on other computers. I can imagine this update will be a problem for those with budget laptops that have a 32GB SSD as these generally require a USB flash drive as temporary storage to install the update, yet having a USB drive attached will trigger the above error.

With flash memory so cheap now, I don’t get why laptop manufacturers are still selling budget laptops with a puny 32GB SSD in them. It reminds me of the time when manufacturers were selling Windows Vista laptops with 512MB or 1GB of RAM, which could barely run the OS. Even the Lidl supermarket here has a promotion this coming week on a Windows 10 laptop with a 32GB SSD. :confused:

1 Like

1903 and above will reserve more and more of the primary storage device for system use, leaving less and less space for the user even if they do succeed in installing major updates. This pretty much leaves users having fixed 32GB SSD/eMMC machines out in the cold. It was a foolish, dead-end hardware design to begin with and MS has just sealed their fate.

On my end, I’m having some issues seeking in some MP4 files with Windows Media Player which takes longer and longer the further you get to the end of the file. This does not happen on 1809 and also not in the latest Insider version.

Have you tried VLC or MPC-HC for MP4 playback?

Tried at least VLC and it does not have this problem. But for some activities I still prefer WMP.

I don’t see much point in using WMP (Windows Media Player) as the following are all around better for video/audio playback…

Audio = Foobar2000 ( http://www.foobar2000.org/ )
Video = Pot Player x64 ( https://www.videohelp.com/software/PotPlayer )

but I pretty much use Linux Mint these days as my primary OS even though I do have Win10 1903 installed for that occasion I replay a video game I like from years ago.

I guess you all are talking about free players, I use Cyberlink PDVD Ultra, but only because I have a volume licence that includes the update every year. I might even buy it if I didn’t have it for free, it keeps up with all the new things and has a great GUI.

I’ve run into two further minor issues with the update, which were easily resolved based experiencing these with a previous feature update.

The first issue is Microsoft replaced my TP-Link Wi-Fi driver with Microsoft’s own generic driver. While it works, its performs terrible, with stuttering throughput giving a false impression that my Wi-Fi adapter/router is playing up. Once I reverted back to the TP-Link driver, it’s fine again. So for anyone experiencing poor Wi-Fi performance after this feature update, check the driver to see if the ‘Driver Provider’ is Microsoft. If it is, download and install the Wi-Fi driver from the manufacturer.

The second isue is it broke the photos app. When I tried viewing a jpeg or png image, it would display the following error:

Photo%20preview%20error

A colleague at work had the same issue on their home PC. This one is straight-forward to fix: Go into start -> Settings (cog icon) -> Apps. Scroll down to “Microsoft Photos”, click Advanced Options, then under ‘Reset’, click ‘Repair’.

1 Like