Windows SMP folding client is here!

vbimport

http://forum.folding-community.org/ftopic18531.html

now SMP can be run natively in windows 32bit without VMware. this also means that older non-64bit multi proc boxes can get in on the action (namely athlon mp and older xeon) :cool: :cool:

I haven’t had a chance to try it myself, but if anyone wants to test drive it you can post your experiences/questions/thoughts here :wink:

Thanks for the news. I will test it once I finished the VMware/Linux SMPs.

Wow, I have been waiting for this for quite a while. Going to hold out until it’s no longer a beta… hopefully not too much longer

I’m installing it on the DC lappie asap - after the first client finishes it’s current work unit … damn! Just 45% through no#2, and no#1 just started (it’s at 7%) :stuck_out_tongue:

I just finished the HD (partitioning) prep for putting Suse Linux on it … but I guess now I don’t have to … Might do it anyway :iagree:

from what I’ve read over at the stanford forums and at EOC, the linux client gets better ppd at the moment, but a direct comparison can’t really be made since win smp and linux smp are running totally different WUs

Holy bejeeeeesus it feels slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow.

But it does however use 100% CPU bandwidth, unlike the Linux client which only uses 70%ish :stuck_out_tongue:

Although, with the windows client, the main program seems to take up 25% of your CPU time … and the worker threads still add up to 75% anyway …

WTF? :slight_smile:

I still found that VMware + Ubuntu + SMP Client is much faster then the windows SMP client.

Oh btw, this is a very good guide on how to setup VMware/Ubuntu64/SMP: http://rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33880616

You can use this to speed up your points and in the same time help the more complicated projects. However you need a 64bit machine with at least 1GB of RAM.

Agreed. The Windows SMP client is … incredibly slow … and I find has a few (significant) issues, like not resuming correctly after hibernation, not resuming after restart (despite being added as a service) - runs fine if you start it manually though. And kill it before restart/hibernation.

I tried the SMP client under Vista 64, but it doesn’t work at all here.
I possibly made an error in setting it up, but i don’t have time to try and figure it out, so i’m just using the normal Windows GUI version.

You have to run the included install.bat with admin rights :wink:

I finished the SMP client a couple days ago, project 2610, 4 days deadline. Using my lowly Pentium D 2.66Ghz (dual core), it finished in 3 days 23 hours. That was closed…

The same project finished in my 3.2Ghz C2D in about 30 hours.

Hmm … deadlines a tad too tight, unless machines are left on … which comes back to the whole “spare” cpu cycles.

They are trying to get feedback on the 1st beta-version as quickly as possible, hence the deadlines.

My Skt 939 3800+ @ 2.30ghz finishes the 2610 project in a little over 3 days, my FX-60 @ 2.90 in about 44-45 hours.